A Bradenton team called Young Guns and Tony Kreisler of Ellenton were the only entrants climbing to the top of the leaderboard in the third and final weekend (March 12-13) of competition in the Sarasota-Manatee County USBC Bowling Association’s Open Championships at Sarasota Lanes.
For the first time, the local association conducted its annual Open and Women’s tournaments simultaneously at the same venue, and this column links to the complete prize lists in both tourneys.
The Young Guns — consisting of Dylan Clark, Paul Farmer, Leighton Bryant Jr., Jacob Sargent and Jarrod Fisher — posted the top team-event score of 3,792, while Kreisler’s 787 pinfall earned him the title in Division B (averages of 175-under) singles.
John Thompson won scratch all-events with a nine-game score of 2,147 (a 238.5 averge) on consistent series of 718, 718 and 711, while Craig Jones, who had a tournament-high 805 scratch series, topped handicap all-events with 2,498.
Chuck Warner claimed first place in two events, with an 822 handicap score in Division A (176-up) singles, and pairing with Mike Hudson for the top score of 1,562 in Division B (351-under) doubles. And Robert Robak and Curtis Miccichi held firm to win Division A doubles with 1,635
Following are the top three, plus low-to-cash figures, in each event, with the following indicating the bowlers’ area: Bradenton (B), Sarasota (S), Englewood (EN), Palmetto (P), Port Charlotte (PC), Ellenton (EL) and Osprey (O). To view the complete, final prize list, click here.
- TEAM EVENT: 1, Young Guns (B) 3,792; 2, Whatever (B) 3,775; 3, We Are Family (B) 3,771. Low cash: 3,772.
- DOUBLES DIVISION A: 1, Robert Robak and Curtis Miccichi (B) 1,635; 2, Craig Jones and William Lehman (B) 1,617; 3, Robert DeLosh and Charles Fletcher (B) 1,600. Low cash: 1,521.
- DOUBLES DIVISION B: 1, Chuck Warner and Mike Hudson (O) 1,562; 2, Jean Clearwater and and Cindy Grich (S) 1,528; 3, Tim Reeves and Shawn Reeves (B) 1,524. Low cash: 1,524.
- SINGLES DIVISION A: 1, Chuck Warner (O) 822; 2, Mike Veautour (S) 811; 3, Paul Herbst (PC) 810. Low cash: 774.
- SINGLES DIVISION B: 1, Tony Kreisler (EL) 787; 2, Shawn Reeves (B) 783; 3, Justin Rifner (B) 778). Low cash: 764.
- ALL-EVENTS HANDICAP: 1, Craig Jones (B) 2,498; 2, Charles Fletcher (B) 2,407; 3, Paul Herbst (PC) 2,387. Low cash: 2,261.
- ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH: 1, John Thompson (S) 2,147; 2, Mike Aleshire (PC) 2,114; 3, Charles Fletcher (B) 2,110. Low cash: 1,976.
Shaffer claims three titles in SMCBA Women’s tourney
Karen Shaffer emerged victorious in three events in the Sarasota-Manatee County USBC Bowling Association’s Women’s Championships, while Paula Wenzel and Samantha Rocca-Linder were two-event leaders, according to the prize list posted after the third and final weekend (March 12-13).
Shaffer won all-events with a nine-game handicap score of 2,473, Division A (165-up) singles with 888, and Division B (325-under) doubles with Janice Muri at 1,553.
With respective scratch series of 670 and 599, Rocca-Linder and Wenzel won Division A (326-up) doubles with a handicap total of 1,476, and they joined Beth-Owen Cipielewski and Jennifer Peacock on the SKOB Queens team that won the four-player event with 3,047.
The only new first-place bowler on the final weekend was Suzanne Marceline, who won Division B (164-under) singles with 729. Following are the top three, plus low-to-cash scores, in each event, and to view the complete, final prize list, click here.
- TEAM EVENT: 1, SKOB Queens (S) 3,047; 2, C&L Awards (S) 2,917. Low cash: 2,917.
- DOUBLES DIVISION A: 1, Samantha Rocca-Linder and Paula Wenzel (S) 1,476; 2, Kathy Anderson and Wendy Perna (S) 1,463. Low cash: 1,463.
- DOUBLES DIVISION B: 1, Janice Muri and Karen Shaffer (S) 1,553; 2, Linda Davidson and Lorna Williamson (EN) 1,515; 3, Jean Clearwater and Sabrina Hoostal (S) 1,474. Low cash: 1,474.
- SINGLES DIVISION A: 1, Karen Shaffer (S) 888; 2, Ruth Tokarz (EN) 809. Low cash: 809.
- SINGLES DIVISION B: 1, Suzanne Marceline (P) 729; 2, Margery Ozner (P) 717; 3 tie, Janice Muri (S) and Cee Butler (S) 709. Low cash: 702.
- ALL-EVENTS: 1, Karen Shaffer (S) 2,473; 2, Paula Wenzel (S) 2,343; 3, Samantha Rocca-Linder (S) 2,235. Low cash: 2,215.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald’s byteclay.com bowling articles — free of charge — by clicking on “Subscribe To Author” near the bottom of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]