The NBA trade deadline was a few hours ago, and it was one of the more quiet events. Top players who were heavily rumoured to be moved didn’t go anywhere, while some players who did not have any news or buzz following them were moved. But even though not too much happened, there were some big deals that went down. Here are the top trades from the week:
Earlier in the week, the Detroit Pistons and Orlando Magic agreed to swap some players. For this deal, which could arguably be the biggest trade of this year, the Magic traded forward Tobias Harris for the Piston’s Brandan Jennings and Ersan Ilyasova.
According to NBA.com, this trade benefits both teams as Harris will fit in well with Detroit’s frontcourt of Andre Drummond and Marcus Morris, which will create one of the most versatile front lines in the league. As for Orlando, Jennings will likely get major minutes at point guard, and will aid the team, who are looking to make a playoff push in the second half of the season, with his offense.
Prior to the deadline buzzer, a few teams were able to get trades off. One of the trades was the Los Angeles Clippers giving Lance Stephenson for the Memphis Grizzlies’ Jeff Green. NBA.com says that this trade will give the Grizzlies more grit with the addition of Stephenson, while the Clippers will get a versatile forward, albeit inconsistent, in Green.
Another big trade that went off near the deadline buzzer was between the Phoenix Suns and the Washington Wizards. The Suns were finally able to relieve themselves from forward Markieff Morris, who has been expressing displeasure since the beginning of the season. The Suns traded Morris to the Wizards for forwards Kris Humphries and DeJuan Blair, and a protected first-round pick. According to NBA.com, this trade will give the Suns another first round pick (they owned two prior to the deal). As for the Wizards, a hopefully reinvigorated Morris will help them make a playoff push.
Here are some of the other notable trades that went down:
Hornets-Grizzlies-Heat 3-team deal:
- The Charlotte Hornets receive Courtney Lee from the Grizzlies
- The Grizzlies receive P.J. Hairston from the Hornets, and Chris Andersen and two second-round picks from the Heat
- The Heat receive Brian Roberts from the Hornets
OKC Thunder-Denver Nuggets deal:
- The Thunder receive Randy Foye
- The Nuggets receive Steve Novak, D.J. Augustin, and two second-round draft picks
Cavaliers-Blazers-Magic three-way trade:
- The Cleveland Cavaliers receive Channing Frye from the Magic
- The Portland Trail Blazers receive Anderson Varejao and a conditional first-round pick the from the Cavs
- The Orlando Magic receive Jared Cunningham from the Cavs, and a second-round pick from the Blazers