Do you have a friend or colleague that never seems to worry about their weight and always stays slim and trim? A new registry aims to collect information from these “mindlessly slim” individuals to determine how they do it, and provide those secrets to those who struggle with their weight.
The Global Healthy Weight Registry is run by the Cornell University Food and Brand Lab, and serves to compliment the established National Weight Control Registry. The National Weight Control Registry tracks over 10,000 individuals who have lost significant amounts of weight and have kept it off for the long term. In contrast, the Global Healthy Weight Registry tracks individuals who have maintained a healthy body weight throughout their lives.
In their initial study, Global Healthy Weight Registry researchers divided registry members into two groups. The first group, the “Mindlessly Slim,” were adults who indicated that they did not maintain strict diets. The other group consisted of those who dieted regularly, thought about food frequently, and where every conscious of what they ate.
The results showed that the mindlessly slim group used different strategies that were usually recommended for weight loss or management. These included:
- Eating high quality foods
- Cooking at home
- Listening to inner cues regarding food and eating
- Not feeling guilty if they overate
- Enjoying eating
“These results are encouraging because they imply that instead of putting restrictions on one’s diet and avoiding favorite foods, weight gain could be prevented early on by learning to listen to inner cues and putting emphasis on the quality instead of the quantity of food,” said lead researcher Anna-Leena Vuorinen.
Here’s some additional facts about the mindlessly slim in the Registry:
- 61 percent say chicken is their favorite meat
- One-third don’t drink alcohol
- 35 percent eat a salad at lunch everyday
- 65 percent eat vegetables at dinner every day
- 51 percent included fruits and vegetables in their breakfast
- 44 percent snacked on fruit
- 37 percent didn’t drink soft drinks, and another 33 percent only drank diet soft drinks
- 48 percent don’t diet
- 50 percent weight themselves weekly (but 29 percent never do)
- 27 percent exercise 3-4 days a week, 42 percent exercise 5-7 days a week, and 10 percent zero days a week
- 80 percent of Registry members are women
- 24 percent of Registry members are under 25, 33 percent are between 26 and 40, and 43 percent are 41 years of age or older
If you are interested in joining the Global Healthy Weight Registry, fill out this survey to determine your eligibility.