One of the hottest items on the fashion scene this season is, once again, high wedge sandals and espadrilles. While they are colorful, popular, and glamorous, they can also be difficult to wear. They accentuate the buttocks, sculpt the calf, enhance the leg, and add height, contributing to a longer, leaner silhouette. Yet, it may take some practice to walk comfortable and safely in them. According to The Huffington Post, men ranked wedges as the number one most unattractive shoe women wear. With a whopping 71% negative, they beat even Crocs and moccasins for ugliness.
Patti, a frequent high wedge wearer, tells us that wedges and espadrilles with no backs are the most difficult to wear. Those with straps are a little easier, and high wedges with closed heels are easiest of all. She has mastered the art of walking easily, and can wear high wedges throughout the day. Unfortunately, some women have a hard time adjusting to high wedges and cannot master the art of walking heel-to-toe. Instead, they pick the whole foot up and set it flat on the ground or floor. This contributes to an ungainly walk sometimes referred to as ‘The Frankenstein walk.’ It detracts from style and, in some cases, poses dangers.
“Very very high platform wedges, which are super hot right now, are prime suspects,” says Meghan Cleary, resident shoe expert at shoeareyou.com. “The most common injury they cause is what’s known as a ballet break. “It’s when you fall off a wedge onto the side of your foot causing a stress fracture,” says Cleary. “It happens because there is zero flexibility in the large platform, so your foot is locked into falling the way the platform heel dictates.”
So, ladies, as with so many things, practice makes perfect. Start by wearing your high wedges at home, walking around where you can grab a chair or counter if necessary. Enjoy the look, follow the trend, and practice until you can do so easily, gracefully and safely. Right now, many colorful summer wedges are on sale at lightinthebox.com. Trendy high wedges you may want to shop this spring feature:
- Women’s wedge heel white and silver open toe sandals (Retail: $70) $34.99
- Women’s wedge heel leather slingback open toe sandals (Retail: $90.08) $62.99
- Women’s wedge heel black and white sandals (Retail: $60) $29.99
- Women’s wedge heel black, blue, yellow and red peep toe sandals (Retail: $83.30) $24.99
- Women’s wedge heel peep toe slingback sandals (Retail: $93.30) $27.99
- Women’s wedge heel black and pink platform sandals (Retail: $83.30) $24.99
- Women’s wedge heel peep toe black, blue and red platform sandals (Retail: $56) $27.99
- Women’s wedge heel blue, green and gold sandals (Retail: $80) $39.99
- Women’s wedge heel yellow, pink and beige peep toe platform sandals (Retail: $99.97) $29.99
- Women’s wedge heel comfort open toe sandals (Retail: $116.63) $34.99
To see the complete selection of wedges, espadrilles and sandals or to place an order online, visit lightinthebox.com.
As always, maximize your style and minimize your spending.