Vandy picked up a must win game at home last night, defeating Texas A&M 77-60. The win moves Vandy to 13-9 on the year but more importantly gave them another Top 20 RPI win and moved Vandy to #52. How did they do it? Lets go behind the box score.
What went wrong:
- Not much! The only glaring stat was at the FT line where A&M went 11-17 and Vandy went 4-6.
- Vandy did force just 7 turnovers and committed 12.
- The shot total was close, Vandy outshot A&M 59-57.
What went right:
- Vandy held A&M to just 36.8% from the field and 1-10 from 3 in the second half. Vandy shot considerably better at a 50.8% clip.
- Damian Jones had 13 and 10 while Jeff Roverson added 20.
- The Commodores held A&M star Danuel House to just 2-8 from the filed and 10 points.
- Vandy won the rebound battle 38-31, a trend that can change the season if it continues.
Vandy must now travel to Oxford to face Ole Miss on Saturday. The quick turnaround could be trouble and this is a game the Dores cannot afford to drop if they want to get back on the right side of the bubble.