Vanderbilt’s trip to Austin, TX to play in the Big 12/SEC Challenge presented the Dores with an excellent opportunity to get back in the NCAA Tournament mix. Unfortunately the Dores were not up to the task, falling 72-58 and giving a lackluster effort early, and essentially played themselves out of the opportunity to win in the first half, scoring just 16 points.
What Went Wrong:
- Vandy was just 6-21 from the field in the first half and finished 23-53 for the game. The rough start left Vandy with little chance to come back.
- Vandy once again got dominated on the boards, 39-27.
- Vandy lost the turnover battle 13-6.
- The real difference maker was at the line where Texas went 20-26 and Vandy shot just 5-10.
What Went Right:
- Vandy had great performances from Damian Jones (26 points and 9 boards) and Matthew Fisher-Davis (19 points and 8 boards)
- Vandy shot 7-14 from 3 in the 2nd half, keeping them within striking distance but never getting closer than 7.
Vandy now returns home to play Texas A&M on Thursday in what is now probably a must win if the Dores want to cling to any postseason hopes.