What a terrible tragedy for a family in Palm Springs on Easter Sunday, March 27, 2016. A father dove into a swimming pool to save his nine year old daughter and was electrocuted by a faulty light fixture. The child was unconscious when 43-year-old James Tramel a Silicon Valley RevJet executive saw her sunk to the bottom of the pool. The family, who live outside of San Francisco in Burlingame, were celebrating Easter at their vacation home in Palm Springs. Tramel was vice president of sales for the West Coast of RevJet, according to his LinkedIn page.
KTLA News reported t hat Palm Springs police Sgt. William Hutchinson said, “I think for most people, the first instinct is to dive in and rescue your child. I think a lot of people unfortunately would have taken that route,” “He may not have known … what was going on.” According to a preliminary investigation into Sunday’s incident, a light fixture in the pool was missing screws and may have had some kind of power surge, electrifying the water, Hutchinson said.
The Los Angeles Times added more details today, March 30, to what happened posting that those nearest to the fixture — Tramel’s 6- and 10-year-old daughters and Tramel himself — suffered the most serious effects from the light malfunction. Others who were using the pool, Tramel’s wife, a 6-year-old boy and two other girls, ages 6 and 8, were treated at the scene. The Times also reported that a GoFundMe page has been established in Tramel’s memory by RevJet Chief Executive Mitchell Weisman to help fund Tramel’s children’s education or nonprofits of the family’s choice.
These type of tragedies happen to pool owners–of which there are many in Palm Springs and of course Los Angeles–and its always a reminder to keep an eye on electrical equipment especially when it’s in water. Although authorities believe the incident was an accident, they are still investigating what happened.