No matter what experience level you are in Tai Chi (Taiji) or any Chinese internal martial art system, there are great reasons to attend the Tai Chi Gala this June in Albany, New York.
Originally founded by Grandmaster Jou Tsung Hwa and named the “Zhang San Feng Festival”, this event is now organized by Jou’s disciple Master Loretta Wollering to unite Tai Chi, Bagua, Xingyi, Qigong, and other internal arts enthusiasts in a sharing spirit. There are many reasons to participate, these are the top ten:
10) The food is reasonably priced, conveniently provided onsite, abundant, and delicious.
9) The location is close to both the airport and Amtrak station and accessible to all travelers.
8) The training venue offers pleasant hotel accommodation and the training facilities are clean and comfortable.
7) Each year this event attracts more than 200 people from all over the United States as well as overseas with a variety of backgrounds and skill levels. It is a great opportunity to connect with people to exchange experiences and stories.
6) The past attendees enjoyed the non-denomination worship ceremony that helped to bring the energy of gratitude together. They said that the free time to meditate, pray, contemplate, or simply breathe deeply was spiritual.
5) The Friendship demonstration on Saturday in the past was a draw. A traditional Chinese Lion Dance from Yee’s Hung Ga Kung Fu, led by Sifu Sharif Bey will join other Sifus to provide an eye feast with various Chinese Martial Arts performances.
4) You would be hard pressed to find a more decorated lineup of masters giving classes at the prices at this event. You can read the bios of the 14 Sifus by clicking the link here.
3) There will be multiple styles and more than two dozens of topics to choose from. Depending on your knowledge and skill level, you can find workshops to fit any interests. Sifu Sam Chin is a new instructor this year and will introduce unique Chin Family I Lig Chuan. The workshops are listed below. You can click a link here to get more information about each of the workshops.
- Chen Style “Silk Reeling” (Chan Si Jin) 4 Corners Warm-Ups – Sifu Violet Li
- DaChengQuan/Yi Quan Core Principles For Use In All Martial Arts – Sifu Wang, RengGang
- Yang 24 Short Form Taijiquan: Intro and Refinement – Sifu YuZhi Lu
- I Liq Chuan 1 (WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION SOON FORTHCOMING) – Sifu Sam Chin
- Using Herbal Medicine for Healing (Special Vendor Presentation) – Edna Mieles
- Taijiquan Martial Secrets of “Crossing The Great River” – Dr. John Painter
- Self Healing Techniques for Your Lower Back – Sifu Donald Wong
- Internal Push Hands: Power of Breath, Coiling & Internal Chin Na – Sifu Richard Clear
- Yang Form of Grandmaster Cheng Man-Ching: Advanced Corrections – Sifu Avi Schneier
- Five Circles: A Master Key to Healing and Power – Dr. John Painter
- Internal Push Hands: Qi, Yi, Jing & Root – Sifu Richard Clear
- Hung Ga Kung Fu Chi Sau “Sticking Hands” Training and Application – Sifu Sharif Bey
- Using Over The Counter (OTC) Chinese Herbs for Colds, Flu, Allergies, Etc. – Dr. Dale Dugas
- Chinese Yoga with Healing Qi – Sifu Jianye Jiang
- Complete Iron Palm: Inside and Out – Dr. Dale Dugas
- The Circular Patterns of Wu Mei Pai Kung Fu – Sifu Ken Lo
- Qigong Tui Shou (Push Hands) – Sifu Stephen Watson
- Bai Si Fang: To Enhance Your Understanding of Tai Chi – Sifu Violet Li
- Yin Yang Medical Qi Gong – Sifu Jianye Jiang
- I Liq Chuan 2 (WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION SOON FORTHCOMING) – Sifu Sam Chin
- Hung Ga Kung Fu Knife Combatives – Sifu Sharif Bey
- Yiquan’s Zhan Zhuang Meditation for Inner Peace & Stronger Qi – Sifu Wang RenGang
- The Body: Crucible. Altar. Temple. – Sifu Stephen Watson
- Cha Do: The Way of Tea (Chinese Tea Ceremony) – Sifu Ken
- Introduction to Sun Style Taijiquan (The Tai Chi of Sun, Lu-Tang) – Sifu Avi Schneier
2) If you prefer to pursue more in Baguazhang, Dr. John Painter will provide a five-day in-depth training of Water Palm of the Nine Dragon Baguazhang in the following week at the same location. This special training program will include:
- Power standing forms for Water Palm
- Linear Walking Nei-gong for all shapes of Water Palm
- Proper biomechanics of circle walking
- Secrets of Dragon Body Energy
- Neutralizing full power strikes with light touch
- Circle walking
- Centering games
- Baguazhang Push Hands with Water energy
- Real World practical martial arts applications
1) At request, Sifu Ken Lo is bringing back the favorite tea tasting session. He will share very fine, rare, Chinese “High Skill” teas originating from Tea Master Lo Chien Wu. According to Sifu Ken, the highest-level teas bring people’s consciousness to the “realms of heaven” and may lead to spontaneous meditation, which is why special tea and Buddhism have been closely linked. Museum quality “Yi Xing” teapots recently brought back from China will be used.
Disclosure: I will be an instructors at 2016 Tai Chi Gala.