Many of us want to start off the New Year with the goal of eating healthier, yet many of us wait until January 1st to start our resolutions. We eat and drink away on New Year’s Eve and put off dieting for one more day. However, if you have seen Oprah Winfrey’s commercial for Weight Watchers, we should heed her advice: “if not now, when.” Here are some healthier appetizer options to bring to your New Year’s Eve party tonight. This list contains some quick, easy, and healthy snack options so you can start the New Year off healthier.
1. Shrimp with cocktail sauce. This is a crowd pleasing appetizer, and it is actually healthy. Cook your shrimp according to the package or buy precooked shrimp and serve on a platter with cocktail sauce. Shrimp is considered a lean protein, and cocktail sauce in moderation is really not that bad. Together you have a healthy appetizer that is filling.
2. Onion dip with nonfat plain Greek yogurt and fresh veggies. This is another crowd pleasing appetizer and your guest’s will not even realize they are eating nonfat plain Greek yogurt. Use an onion dip like Lipton’s. The onion spices will give the dip flavor, and the Greek yogurt will give it some zing. We like dipping fresh broccoli, pepper slices, and carrots. You could also add cut up cauliflower, cucumber, and add a handful of some grape tomatoes.
3. Carrots and hummus dip. This snack is super easy. You can wash, peel, and cut up your carrots into sticks or buy a package of precut baby carrots. Buy a good hummus dip with some flavor. We like garlic hummus the best, but lemon hummus and tomato basil hummus will work too. You can create your own hummus out of ground chick peas and seasoning. We have even heard of hummus made out of olives and beets, so you can really diversify your hummus. Also, since hummus is made from beans, you will be getting some protein in your dip.
4. Salsa and avocado and low fat tortilla chips. Skip the cheesy nacho dip and tortillas and instead go for a fat free salsa mixed with fresh avocado. You will get the crunch still but also save some of the calories. The avocado gives you the smoothness of the cheese dip, and you get your spicy flavor from the salsa. You will fulfill your salty and crunchy craving, but just be careful not to eat too many tortilla chips. We suggest a fat free low fat corn chip, but you can even try making your own healthy tortilla chips by baking a fat free flour tortilla at 400°F. Spray your pan with a little bit of cooking spray and brush the tortilla with one egg white. Then cover with parmesan cheese and bake for 6-8 minutes. Now you can control how much salt and oil goes into your chips.
5. Fat free cream cheese crostini with fruit or an even better option: fat free cottage cheese crostini with fruit. We couldn’t round up this top five healthy appetizer list without adding something for those who crave something sweet. Start by slicing up a French baguette and preheat oven to 325°F. Place bread slices on a lightly greased cookie sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray. Bake until lightly browned and crisp for 10 minutes. Place bread slices on a wire rack to cool completely. Then spoon a teaspoon of fat free cream cheese or cottage cheese and top with blueberries, strawberries, and or raspberries. If you like a little added sweetness to your cottage cheese or cream cheese, add a teaspoon of Splenda or honey. This snack will help satisfy your sweet craving and help you to avoid the cookies and desserts.