A new survey released by premium underwear brand Tommy John on February 12th about men’s underwear habits revealed that close to 10% keep a pair of underwear over 10 years – longer than the length of the average first marriage! And that same 10% are more likely to change jobs before tossing out their underwear for a new pair!
The survey revealed that while men on average hold onto underwear much longer than women, they still have an eye for comfort and fashion. More than 40% say they have a “special pair” they put on for special occasions (like Valentine’s Day). While another 40% of men claim to wear a special pair for “luck” (which could be date night).
When it comes to comfort, a whopping 100% of men surveyed admitted to making adjustment to their underwear at least once a day, citing bunching, wedgies and lack of support as major problems.
“As a company that is obsessed with comfort, we wanted to understand what’s top of mind for men in the love/hate relationship they have with their underwear,” said Tommy John founder, Tom Patterson.
The company even produced a humorous video about the discomfort men face, making it clear that we all bear witness and suffer through their creative attempts to adjust an ill-fitting undergarment.
“Men have upgraded everything else in their life except their underwear and this survey further supports our view that many men are still in the dark ages” said Patterson. “We are on a mission to change that. All of our products contain proprietary fabrics, innovative fit and functionality that eliminates unnecessary adjustments and provide a new standard of comfort for men today.”
Survey highlights include:
Who, Where and Why Men Adjust:
- 100 % of men surveyed admit to making adjustments to their underwear at least once throughout the course of the day
- Of those caught in the “adjustment” act, 40% say the most embarrassing time was in front of their boss, close to 25% say in front of their friends, 18% at a fancy restaurant and 11% in front of their parents.
- When asked why they adjust, bunching topped the list at close to 30 %, with sweating and ease of access coming in 2nd and 3rd at 16% and 14% respectively. Wedgies, sagging, and lack of support rounded out the list with around 10% each.
Who is doing the buying?
- Despite industry statistics that say women buy the lion’s share of men’s underwear, 77% of those polled say they purchase their own.
- 14% say their partner does the buying
- 10% still count on their mom of mother-in-law for their undergarments
Men, Stop Letting Your Mom (or Mother-in-Law) Buy Your Underwear!
- 33% of males whose mom buys their underwear adjust themselves almost 10 times a day.
- 15% of men who claim to adjust themselves a million times a day, let their mothers buy their underwear!
- Even worse, out of men who let their mother in laws buy their underwear, 44 % describe most of the underwear in their drawer as tighty whities, and 33 % claim superhero themed pants.
- And 45% of men whose mother in law buys their underwear claim to adjust themselves a million times a day!
Do Millennials Update Their Underwear More?
- According to the survey, only 33% of men ages 18-29 wait until their underwear starts sagging to replace, compared to nearly 45% of males ages 45-59 years old.
- Time to ditch the tighty whities, guys! Today, 20% of males 45-59 years old still prefer tighty whities over boxer briefs or boxer shorts. Compared to 5% of men ages 18-29 year olds who prefer them.
Boxers or Briefs?
- More than 80% say boxers – with a third of this group opting for the loose variety.
- And 6% of men prefer going commando – wearing nothing at all!
- Surprisingly, out of the men who let their mothers-in-law buy their underwear, 44% describe most of the underwear in their drawer as tighty whities, and 33% claim superhero themed pants.
All Tommy John products can be found at Nordstrom, Dillard’s, Bloomingdales, and over 100 premium men’s stores, and online at https://www.tommyjohn.com/