Tickets are on sale for the entire 2016 season of pop-up breakfasts at the Westside Santa Cruz and Scotts Valley farmers’ markets. The first event is the morning of Saturday, May 28 at the Westside market with chef Kevin Koebel of Local FATT—see menu below. There is limited seating; $37 tickets are available for purchase online and at the markets.
Different local chefs are featured at each event. For each dish at these multi-course meals, nearly 100% of the ingredients are sourced from farms at the markets. Event proceeds benefit the markets’ public educational programs including the Foodshed Project.
2016 Pop-Up Breakfast Dates and Chefs:
Scotts Valley market
- June 25 – chef Brad Briske of Carmel’s La Balena and il Grillo
- July 23 – chefs Mark Denham and Mike Roskin of Soif Restaurant & Wine Bar
- Aug 27 – chefs Kendra Baker and Carlo Espinas of Assembly, The Penny Ice Creamery, and The Picnic Basket
Full menus will be posted on the web site as events draw closer.
Santa Cruz’s Food, What?! youth empowerment program graduates provide service at the events, which begin at 9:30 a.m. Attendees choose their seats by placing their own plates and silverware at spaces along u-shaped, family-style tables. At 10 a.m., plates of seasonal cuisine made with ingredients sourced from the markets begin rolling out. As the guests eat and visit, farmers and chefs share their knowledge and perspectives regarding agriculture, community and consumer choice within the food system. There is also live local music at each breakfast.
The first summer series occurred in 2013, and the farm-to-table breakfasts continue to draw sell-out crowds. For more information call 831-325-4294 or email email@example.com.
May 28 Pop-Up Breakfast Menu
- PAN GRIDDLED WALNUT-VANILLA BEAN FRENCH TOAST with Strawberry-caramelized sugar compote and crème fraiche
- LATE SPRING SAVORY SALAD: micro greens with prosciutto di parma carpaccio, crispy leek and savory Tuile
- GRILLED WILD SALMON FILET BRIOCHE WITH FARM EGG AND GREENS served with a duo of lemon chutney and cilantro chutney
- SPRING VEGETABLE CADEAUX (bundle) wrapped in sweet leek, roasted and served with Meyer lemon-local sea salt beurre blanc sauce
- SWEET FINISH Champagne syrup macerated fruit gratin
- TASTY BEVERAGES COURTESY OF Lulu Carpenter’s Coffee
Read more about the Santa Cruz Farmers’ Markets.
Follow me on Twitter @santacruzfoodie.