The 2016 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition is the largest competition of American wines and this year included a record breaking 7,162 entries from around the nation and judged by 65 prominent wine judges from around the world. The competition is always fierce and as the number of entries grow, it becomes tougher.
The San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition started in 1983 as the Cloverdale Citrus Fair Wine Competition and over the years evolved and grew. In 2000 it was renamed as the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition with the award tasting of the medal winners taking place in San Francisco. The competition grew from 2006 with 3,318 entries from 900 wineries to today when it is the largest wine competition of American wines in the world.
There are six levels of awards:
- Sweepstakes Winners – the best wines in the major categories of Sparkling, White, Pink, Red, Dessert/Specialty wines and Wine Label (these wines are voted on by all judges in the competition)
- Best of Class – the top wines in each class of wine, (i.e. Chardonnay – $18.00-21.99)
- Double Gold – Gold medal winners are submitted and voted on by a five-member judging panel
The Sweepstakes winners for 2016 are:
- Sparkling Sweepstakes Winner – Korbel Brut California Champagne, organically grown grapes
- White Sweepstakes Winner – V. Sattui Winery 2014 Los Carneros Chardonnay
- Pink Sweepstakes Winner – Barnard Griffin Winery 2015 Rose of Sangiovese Columbia Valley Washington
- Red Sweepstakes Winners (tie) – Jeff Runquist Wines 2013 Zinfandel Nostro Vino Vineyard from Amador County and Sonnet Wine Cellars 2013 Pinot Noir from Santa Lucia Highlands
- Dessert/Specialty Sweepstakes Winner – Claar Cellars 2013 Riesling Ice Wine from White Bluff Vineyards from Columbia Valley Washington
- Wine Label Sweepstakes Winner – Scratchpad Cellars 2014 Sauvignon Blanc, Central Coast
The public is invited to the Public Tasting to be held at Fort Mason Center in San Francisco on Saturday, February 13th at 1:30 – 5 p.m.
For more information and a complete list of winners:
- San Francisco Chronicle 2016 Wine Competition
Tickets for the Public Tasting on February 13