Commercial builders faced stiff competition from self-builts this year, with all six entries winning awards for the first time in at least a couple decades. Among the non-competitive floats, there was a surprise as well. For the first time, the Theme Banner float, which is supposed to be the first in the parade, broke down before reaching the corner of Orange Grove and Colorado. It returned at the end of the parade just before the Long Beach Mounted Police, which is a bit ironic since it was 2016 TOR President Mike Matthiessen who first introduced the Theme Banner float in 2010.
Paradiso Parade floats once again had all its entries take home trophies, which makes a perfect record for the 4-year-old company, with one in 2013 and two in both 2014 and 2015. Phoenix Decorating Company won for four of its 19 competing entries and both of Artistic Entertainment Services’ competing entries won.
Here’s the list of the 24 winners in the 127th Tournament of Roses Parade. Remember to bookmark this article, because as articles and photos are posted about each award-winning float, they will be linked here. The list is in alphabetical order by trophy.
- Animation, Best animation and motion, Sierra Madre Rose Float Association, “Rollin’ On The River,” Self Built
- Bob Hope Humor, Most comical and amusing entry, La Cañada Flintridge Tournament of Roses Association, “Up a Creek,” Self Built
- Craftsman Trophy, Exceptional achievement in showmanship and dramatic impact in floats exceeding 55 feet, Farmers Insurance Group, “Along for the Ride,” Phoenix Decorating Company
- Crown City Innovation, Best use of imagination & innovation to advance the art of float design, Kiehl’s Since 1851, “Beauty of Adventure,” Fiesta Parade Floats
- Directors’ Trophy Honoring Jacob Maarse, Outstanding artistic merit, in design and floral presentation, Dole Packaged Foods, “Soaring Over Paradise,” Fiesta Parade Floats
- Extraordinaire Trophy, Most spectacular float including floats that do not retract to 55 feet, Disneyland Resort, “Diamond Celebration,” Artistic Entertainment Services
- Fantasy Trophy, Most outstanding display of fantasy and imagination, Trader Joe’s “Fearless Flyer,” Phoenix Decorating Company
- Founders’ Trophy, Most beautiful float built and decorated by volunteers from a community or organization, Downey Rose Float Association, “Exploring the Everglades,” Self Built
- Governor’s Trophy, Best depiction of life in California, Miracle-Gro, “Life Starts Here,” Fiesta Parade Floats
- Grand Marshal’s Trophy, Excellence in creative concept and design, Kaiser Permanente, “Helping Mother Nature Thrive,” Fiesta Parade Floats
- International Trophy, Most beautiful entry from outside the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, China Airlines, “Venture to Majestic Taiwan,” Artistic Entertainment Services
- Isabella Coleman Trophy, Best presentation of color and color harmony through floral use, Donate Life, “Treasure Life’s Journey,” Paradiso Parade Floats
- Judges’ Special Trophy in Memory of Raul Rodriguez, Most spectacular in showmanship and dramatic impact, Los Angeles Lakers, “Every Second is an Adventure,” Paradiso Parade Floats
- Lathrop K. Leishman Trophy, Most beautiful noncommercial float, Cal Poly Universities, “Sweet Shenanigans,” Self Built
- Mayor’s Trophy, Most outstanding city entry, City of Los Angeles, “Discover Los Angeles.” Phoenix Decorating Company
- National Trophy, Best depiction of life in the USA, South Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association, “Fishing Follies,” Self Built
- Past Presidents Trophy, Most creative design and use of both floral and non-floral materials, Northwestern Mutual, “Dancing Into Adventure,” Fiesta Parade Floats
- President’s Trophy, Most effective floral use and presentation, The Bachelor, “Love is the Greatest Journey,” Fiesta Parade Floats
- Princess’ Trophy, Most beautiful float 35 feet and under, City of Torrance, “What a Purr-fectly Pawful Adventure,” Fiesta Parade Floats
- Queen’s Trophy, Most effective use and display of roses in concept, design and presentation, Public Broadcasting Service, “Downton Abbey: The Final Adventure,” Paradiso Parade Floats
- Sweepstakes Trophy, Most beautiful entry in the Parade with outstanding floral presentation and design, Singpoli Group, “Marco Polo East Meets West,” Paradiso Parade Floats
- Theme Trophy, Excellence in presenting Parade theme, Burbank Tournament of Roses Association, “Are We There Yet?” Self Built
- Tournament Special Trophy, Exceptional merit in multiple classifications including floats that do not retract to 55 feet, California Milk Advisory Board, “Adventures in Real Food,” Fiesta Parade Floats
- Tournament Volunteers Trophy, Best floral design of Parade theme 35 feet and under, Shriners Hospitals for Children, “Fezzy Races to Adventure,” Phoenix Decorating Company
The theme of the 127th Rose Parade and 102nd Rose Bowl Game on Jan. 1, 2016 was “Find Your Adventure.” If you have a question or would like a reply to your comment, please post on Facebook at All Things Rose Parade or email email@example.com.