Fresh from the Oregon Bakes test kitchen, these lemon raspberry cupcakes are a perfect dessert for any gathering. The tart lemon flavor makes the raspberries stand out and appease the palate. Raspberry cream cheese frosting completes the ensemble with an ample cheese and fruit blend. Perfect cupcakes for a casual family gathering and yet an elegant choice for a wedding. The recipe is simple to make and will please guests and family.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, (1 stick, room temperature)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/3 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, for frosting
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries, for frosting
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar, (powdered)
- 1 to 3 Tablespoons milk or buttermilk, for frosting
Instructions for Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes
- In a mixing bowl, cream together 1 stick of butter and sugar until sugar is mostly dissolved and color of mixture is lighter.
- Mix in the eggs. Whip until well blended.
- While wet ingredients are mixing, begin the mise en place (fancy French word for “putting in place”) process of dry ingredients. Sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Pour buttermilk into a bowl and set aside.
- When creaming process is complete, slowly add butter mixture to dry ingredients, alternate with buttermilk. Whisk all ingredients together.
- Grate fresh lemon for 1 teaspoon lemon zest. Cut lemon in half and squeeze or use juicer for 3 teaspoons of lemon juice. Mix well.
- Chop raspberries into fairly small pieces. Fold into batter.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake cupcakes in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for approximately 25 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when touched with fingertip. Remove cupcakes within a couple of minutes and place them on a cooling rack.
- While cupcakes are cooling, place 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter into a mixing bowl. Add in the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Mix until very firm. Slowly add in milk or buttermilk until desired consistency is achieved.
- Cut raspberries into small pieces. Fold into the frosting.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cool, place frosting in decorating bag and pipe onto cupcakes. Keep cupcakes refrigerated.