Charlie Pham of Naples and Rich Powers of Davie were the only two-event winners, according to final, official standings posted Thursday (Dec. 17) for the recent Florida State Bowling Association’s Men’s Championship Tournament at Dunedin Lanes in Dunedin.
Pham teamed with Eric Nguyen for the championship in the 400-over doubles category with a handicap score of 1,616. In addition, he was a member of a team called Chinese Connection — also consisting of Nguyen, Son Pham and Kinsley Matthew — that topped the leaderboard in the 750-over four-player division with a score of 3,140. Pham also was runner-up in the 175-200 average division in scratch all-events with a nine-game pinfall of 2,047
Powers earned individual championships in two 174-under classifications: singles with 811 and handicap all-events with 2,499.
A Broward County foursome called On Our Own — consisting of Pete Perez, Carlos Lozada, Vincent Venditto and Ernie Faulkner — won the title in the 750-under team division with a score of 3,141.
Dann Sellers of Hudson was impressive in 200-over scratch all-events with a nine-game score of 2,199 (a 244.3 average), while Larry Soncrant of St. Augustine’s 2,090 pinfall was best in 175-200 scratch all-events. The other handicap all-events winners were Robert Johnson of Winter Haven (2,449 in the 175-200 division) and Dorsey Sawicki of Tampa (2,390 in the 200-over category).
Rounding out the list of champions were: James Lee and John Bell of Tampa (1,528 in 350-under doubles); Harold Hamlett and John Stacks of Valdosta, Ga. (1,639 in 351-400 doubles); Kenneth Yucka of Orlando (861 in 175-200 singles); and and Joseph Burdge of Davie (819 in 200-plus singles).
Stan Sprow of Lakeland (team event) and Nathan Cummins of Largo (singles) fired the only final-weekend perfect games, while previous 300 games were rolled by Mike O’Neill of Seminole and Mike Cernobyl and Ben Wing, both of Tampa. William “Boog” Snyder of Fort Myers blasted a tournament-high 817 series in the team event.
The top three in each of the tournament’s event categories and low-to-cash figures, plus Sarasota-Manatee County entrants listed among the prize winners:
- TEAM EVENT (averages of 750-under): 1, On Our Own (Broward County) 3,141; 2, Four Horsemen (St. Augustine) 3,118; 3, Schalamar Creek (Orange Belt) 3,043. Low cash: 3,004.
- TEAM EVENT (750-up): 1, Chinese Connection (Naples) 3,140; 2, SKOB (Sarasota) 3,104; 3, Wolfpack I (Gainesville) 3,084. Low cash: 2,940.
- DOUBLES (350-under): 1, James Lee and John Bell (Tampa) 1,528; 2, Daryl Bonds and Carl Woodruff II Tampa) 1,513; 3, Charles Meyer and Robert Johnson (Palm Beach) 1,511. Low cash: 1,490.
- DOUBLES (351-400): 1, Harold Hamlett and John Stacks (Valdosta, Ga.) 1,639; 2, Eric Wheeler and Jeff Wagner (Orlando) 1,604; 3, Jay Crowe Jr. and Kelly Lake (St. Augustine) 1,596; 10, Bill Lippman and Robert Yoder (Sarasota) 1,525. Low cash: 1,508.
- DOUBLES (400-over): 1, Charlie Pham and Eric Nguyen (Naples) 1,616; 2, Chris Ziegler and Tim Willner (St. Petersburg) 1,595; 3, Keith Cipielewski (Sarasota) and Stan Sprow (Lakeland) 1,570; 10, Jarrod Fisher and Dylan Clark (Bradenton) 1,509. Low cash: 1,480.
- SINGLES (174-under): 1, Rich Powers (Davie) 811; 2, John Bell (Tampa) 802; 3, Arthur Goldstein (Orlando) 792. Low cash: 765.
- SINGLES (175-200): 1, Kenneth Yucka (Orlando) 861; 2, Christopher McCrory (Sarasota) 859; 3, Gene Bateman (Lakeland) 838; tie 22, Larry Butler (Sarasota) 777; 26, Jim Ord (Sarasota) 769. Low cash: 766.
- SINGLES (200-over): 1, Joseph Burdge (Davie) 819; 2 tie, Chester Galganski (Palm Beach) and Acie Murry (Port St. Lucie) 811; 14, John Thompson (Sarasota) 775. Low cash: 745.
- ALL-EVENTS (174-under): 1, Rich Powers (Davie) 2,499; 2, Raymond Cummings (Pembroke Pines) 2,334; 3, Ronald Simmonds (Lakeland 2,315. Low cash: 2,291.
- ALL-EVENTS (175-200): 1, Robert Johnson (Winter Haven) 2,449; 2, A.J. Bateman (Orange Belt) 2,421; 3, Christopher McCrory (Sarasota) 2,410; 9, Larry Butler (Sarasota) 2,371; 11, Jim Ord (Sarasota) 2,346; 16, Robert Yoder (Sarasota) 2,313. Low cash: 2,313.
- ALL-EVENTS (200-over): 1, Dorsey Sawicki (Tampa) 2,390; 2, Dave Burney Jr. (Tampa) 2,346; 3, Sean Wolford (Largo) 2,340. Low cash: 2,257.
- ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH (174-under): 1, Scott DeBoer (Largo) 1,661, Low cash: 1,661.
- ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH (175-200): 1, Larry Soncrant (St. Augustine) 2,090; 2, Charlie Pham (Naples) 2,047; 3, Gene Bateman (Sebring) 2,034. Low cash: 2,024.
- ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH (200-over): 1, Dann Sellers (Hudson) 2,199; 2, Stan Sprow (Lakeland) 2,197; 3, Terry Roedell (Orlando) 2,194. Low cash: 2,096.
To view a listing of the final, official tournament prize list, click here.
Bobby Combs Century Doubles is at Sarasota Lanes on Sunday (Dec. 20)
The second Bobby Combs Century Doubles tournament of the 2015-16 season will be held on Sunday (Dec. 20) at Sarasota Lanes, and all two-bowler teams must have combined ages of at least 100 as of the time of competition.
The event is open to all current and certified USBC members, and there will be only one squad, beginning at 2 p.m.
The entry fee has been set at $30 per doubles team, and the format calls for three games on a handicap (90 percent of 220) basis In addition to the regular prize list, an optional $5 entry fee per bowler can be applied to Alibi Doubles, in which bowlers use scores rolled by other (non-partner) tournament competitors for qualifying on a separate prize list.
Walk-ins will be accepted, pending lane availability. but such entrants must register at least 45 minutes prior to the 2 p.m. starting time. To view or download an official entry blank, click here.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald’s bowling columns — free of charge — by clicking on “Subscribe To Author” near the bottom of the article, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]