The Ocean Running Club’s 30th Annual Winter Series will begin this Sunday, January 31, 2016 at Ocean County Park in Lakewood, New Jersey. The series was set to start last weekend but was delayed due to the snow storm. The weather looks good for this week’s race. The series will continue every Sunday through February 21. 2016. The 4 Mile races begin at 10 a.m. with race walkers starting at 9:45 this year moving everything up one hour from previous years. Registration is held on race morning starting at 9 a.m. at the beach pavilion near the parking lot. No advance registration is needed you just show up that morning. Awards are given each week for overall and age group winners. Fees are only $6 per race ($5 for ORC members).
There are weekly awards to the top 3 overall, 1st in age groups, 14 & under, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55- 59, 60-69, 70-79, & 80& up. In case of bad weather the Ocean Running Club Facebook Page will post any cancellation information or call 732-370-2948. For more information, check out the ORC Winter Series page or download a printable ORC Winter Series Flyer.
The series is popular for all levels of ability and attracts a spirited crowd every week. It is staged by enthusiastic volunteers from the Ocean Running Club who have surprises after the race every week for all participants. It is a nice scenic course through the pine tree lined course through the park that is pretty much protected from the strong winter winds. After the races awards are presented inside the building in the park along with some hot snacks to warm everyone up. There are not many events that stand the test of time for 30 years and congratulations to the Ocean Running Club on this achievement.
This is a slow season for road races but it will be heating up soon with lots of opportunities to get out there. Many runners are also preparing for spring distance runs such as the E. Murray Todd Half Marathon and the Asbury Park Half Marathon. So keep up the running knowing spring is right around the corner. Check out some upcoming events.
- Saturday, February 13, 5K, Cupid’s Chase, Seaside Heights, Princeton, New Brunswick, Morristown, Gloucester, Glen Rock, Cooper River, New Jersey
- Sunday, February 14, 5K, Marlton Lakes Valentine’s Day 5K, Marlton Lakes, New Jersey
- Sunday, February 14,5K, Polar Bear Run for Autism, Sea Isle City, New Jersey
- Sunday, February 21 10:30 a.m.,2, 4 or 6 miles, Johnny Mac House of Spirits Train Run, Asbury Park, New Jersey
- Saturday, March 5, 11 a.m. 5K, Byrne Up the Road, Spring Lake, New Jersey
- Sunday, March 6, 9 a.m. 13.1 Miles, E.Murray Todd Half Marathon, Middletown, New Jersey
- Saturday, March 12, 5K, Run of the Mill 5K, Clinton, New Jersey
- Saturday, March 12, 5K, Shamrock N Run, Rutherford, New Jersey
- Saturday, March 12, 5K, St. Paddy’s Day 5K, Morris Township, New Jersey
- Sunday, March 13, 5K, The Lucky Run, Sewell, New Jersey
- Sunday, March 13, 10 Miles, 5K, FARC St. Paddy’s Day 10 Mler and 5K, Freehold, New Jersey
- Saturday, March 19, 5K, Haddonfield Adrenaline 5K, Haddonfield, New Jersey
- Saturday, March 19, 5K, Lacey Elks Run for the Heroes, Lacey, New Jersey
- Saturday, March 19, 5K and 10 Miles, St Pat’s Boardwalk 10 Miler, Margate, New jersey
- Sunday, March 20, 5k, 10 Miles, 26.2 Miles, Ocean Drive Marathon, Cape May, New Jersey
- Sunday, March 20, 20K, Miles for Music, Piscataway, New Jersey
- Saturday, April 16, Marathon Relay, Half Marathon, 5K, RunAPalooza, Asbury Park, New Jersey
- Saturday, April 30, Tutu 2.2, Asbury Park, New Jersey