Keeping track of merchandise is a challenge for touring artists. Merchandise sales can be a primary revenue stream, so it is important to find the best way to track and analyze this aspect of an artist’s business. I reviewed a new app on the market, Merch Cat, and here are the five reasons why I would highly recommend this app for artists/bands:
1. It’s Convenient – Users can sell merchandise anytime and anywhere with their iOS device. Since Merch Cat can be used on an iPhone or iPad, it is easily accessible on the go, and it quickly and efficiently tracks inventory and sales.
2. It’s Intuitive – Merch Cat was clearly designed with artists in mind. It offers a clean design and simple workflow process. The design makes it easy to navigate and transact quickly at the merch table. Just enter inventory, create an online store, and immediately begin transacting. Show information can also be entered to keep track of sales by venue and to generate a settlement sheet. No complicated and confusing spreadsheets! The app was created by an artist manager that needed to find an affordable and easy way for artists to track inventory and increase merch sales.
3. It Offers Tracking/Analytics Component – Users can track merchandise inventory and sales by using the app to transact cash or card sales via PayPal and PayPal Here swiper. The inventory is immediately updated, so there’s no need to count in and out at every show. Users can generate real-time analytics and venue settlement sheets through Merch Cat’s “Reports” feature. There is an option to run your venue settlement sheet and email it to your team via your iOS device, and you can login to your mercat.com account and print your settlement sheet or export them to a PDF or Excel file.
4. It’s Affordable – There is a free 30 day trail, and then Merch Cat will run you $7.99/month. The only comparable app is seven times that price and does not feature the intuitive and convenient tracking and reports. Nor the sleek design. Merch Cat makes it possible to get both a big picture and detailed understanding of your merch business all for the price of selling a few t-shirts a year.
5. It Increases Productivity/Sales: The transaction process on Merch Cat takes less than 30 seconds and by tracking sales by show and/or city, artists can prepare better for their next run of shows and bring the appropriate amount of merch. Having a system tracking merch sales and inventory also makes it easier for artists to pull in someone to help with merch. Merch table helpers will be able to see available inventory in the app without wasting time searching for the product.
To learn more about Merch Cat visit http://merchcat.com/.