‘Tis the season to cocktail! Grab your family or friends (and a sober driver) and head out to these local restaurants to check out the festive holiday drinks.
No holiday celebration would be complete without the Festivus Martini from Argyll Whisky Beer. Put aside the boozy eggnog and step up to this tart and refreshing new holiday classic that combines gin, Lillet Blanc, fresh squeezed lemon, cranberry juice and a hint of house-infused rosemary syrup for a complex and herbal finish. Pop into Argyll and then try your own version at home with this recipe:
- 1.5 oz Gin
- .5 oz lillet blanc
- .75 lemon juice
- .75 cranberry/Rosemary syrup
Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with rosemary sprig and cranberry.
Kachina Southwestern Grill has created a uniquely “hot” cocktail for this winter season. The Controlled Burn, a margarita, is not served hot, but rather made with a house made scorpion tincture. The scorpion tincture, combined with Milagro silver tequila, lime, pineapple, and green chartreuse, makes for a very “hot” cocktail, sure to warm from the inside out. Try this recipe at home:
- 1.5 oz. Milagro Silver
- ½ oz. Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- ½ oz. Pineapple Juice
- ¼ oz. Green Chartreuse
- ¾ oz. simple
- 4 Drops of Scorpion Tincture
- Garnish: Fresno Pepper
Add all ingredients into a shaker and shake. Strain in to glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a Fresno pepper.
Head over to Punch Bowl Social and enjoy the sharable featured holiday punch Grandma Got Run Over by a Punch Bowl. A perfect blend of housemade, seasonal spiced cinnamon syrup, rich, sweet caramel flavors from Amaro Averna, plus fresh apple and lemon juice to balance the bowl with a warm, holiday favorite spirit – Old Forrester bourbon. Or make Santa a batch to enjoy at your house:
- 6 parts Averna amaro
- 2 parts Old Forester Bourbon
- 4 parts apple juice
- 1 part lemon juice
- 1 part cinnamon syrup
- Garnish with a lemon wheel and a maraschino cherry.
Make the syrup by boiling 1 cup of water for each cinnamon stick for 1 hour. To serve Use 1 oz as your 1 part to yield a bowl that serves 4. Mix all of the ingredients and pour over ice. Serve in a large punch bowl and garnish with a lemon wheel and a maraschino cherry.
Enjoy “12 Cocktails of Christmas” at Baur’s beginning Sunday, December 13 with a specialty cocktail each day leading up to Christmas inspired by the song “The 12 Days of Christmas.” Bar Manager Brittany Wangsness created the perfect cocktail for each day leading up to Christmas from the lyrics of the popular holiday song. Each specialty cocktail costs $5 on the day it is released, and $10 after that. Baur’s 12 Cocktails of Christmas runs from December 13 to December 24, and includes the following:
- Dec. 13 – Spiced Pear Jous with St. George Spiced Pear Liqueur, Pierre Ferrand Amber Cognac, Lemon, Honey, Egg White and Cinnamon served up in a snifter, as a classic sour, with fresh cinnamon on the foam.
- Dec. 14 – Slow & Steady Shakedown is Baur’s grown-up milkshake with Crown Royal Maple Whiskey, Nux Alpina Walnut Liqueur and Baur’s Homemade Chocolate & Salted Caramel Ice cream topped with a dollop of house whipped cream and a DeMet’s classic Turtle.
- Dec. 15 – French Connection with Pierre Ferrand Amber Cognac and Luxardo Amaretto Liqueur served on a rock of ice with an orange zest.
- Dec. 16 – Marco…Polo with Beefeater Gin, Lillet Blanc, housemade beer syrup made with Blvd. Brewery’s “The Calling” Imperial IPA, and Bitterman’s Hopped Grapefruit Bitters. Served up in a coupe with a grapefruit zest.
- Dec. 17 – Galliano’s Golden Dream with Galliano L’Autentico Liqueur, Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao, Orange Juice and Cream. This is an International Bartender’s Association official cocktail recipe from Galliano. It is served up in a coupe with a ring of orange.
- Dec. 18 – Christmas Cosmo with Grey Goose Vodka, Clear Creek Distillery Cranberry Liqueur, Grand Marnier Raspberry Peach Liqueur and Lime served up in a coupe with a cranberry & lime zest.
- Dec. 19 – Swimming in Starry Nights with Coole Swan Irish Cream Liqueur, Fernet Branca Menta Amaro, Hot Chocolate and Chocolate Starlight Mints. Served hot with crushed Chocolate Starlight Mints atop a dollop of house whipped cream.
- Dec. 20 – A Hard Day’s Nightcap with Absolut Vanilla Vodka, Cream, Lavender Honey and Teakoe Calming Chamomile Tea. Served hot, rich and creamy, with lavender and chamomile flowers on the foam.
- Dec. 21 – Grand Royale Ball with Lucien Albrecht Cremant D’Alsace and Grand Marnier Raspberry Peach Liqueur. Served in a flute as a classic ‘Royale’ with a lemon zest.
- Dec. 22 – Frat House Flip with Encanto Pisco, Frangelico, Madeira, Lemon, Orgeat and Egg served up in a snifter, as a classic flip, with fresh nutmeg on the foam.
- Dec. 23 – Piping Hot Na Zdravi Toddy with Becherovka, Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao, Sweet 5 Spice and Lemon served hot, sweet and spicy, with an orange twist and star anise.
- Dec. 24 – Dance to the Beat of Baur’s Drum with House Red Wine, Plantation 5 Year Rum, Orange Oleosaccrum, Cloves, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Apples and Brown Sugar. In honor of Otto Baurs and the original Baurs family, this is the new Baur’s Restaurant and Listening Lounge’s Christmas ‘Glühwein,’ served hot with a cinnamon stick and orange twist.
Amante Coffee in LoDo is mixing the Snoggy Nog made of Dark Rum, Bourbon, and eggnog with steamed cappuccino foam on top; the Louis XIV made of Green Chartreuse and hot chocolate; the Lower East Cider made with Big B’s cider, Bourbon, Sweet Vermouth, and lemon; the Champagne Blitz made of Prosecco and Crème de menthe; and the Hot Toddy. Amante Coffee is also serves non-alcoholic drinks like Hot Apple Cider, Eggnog Lattes with Pumpkin Spice, and Hot Chocolate with Peppermint.
With the ultra-sleek ModBar coffee system, a hip scene and thirst-inducing munchies, the customizable cocktails are a no-brainer at Carbon Beverage, where the holidays are ushered in with a bang. Coffee Manager Matty Spicer whips up the Oh Starry Night, a boozy version of the inventive Bulletproof buttery coffee drink amped up with a splash of vanilla, a shot of bright citrusy Combier orange liqueur and a dollop of single barrel four roses bourbon. Finished with a star stencil and a seasonal star anise garnish, it’s rimmed with espresso ground coffee iced with raw sugar for a holiday taste that’s original and unexpected. If you’re looking to cut the caffeine, try the Jolly Roger – a warm apple cinnamon tea with a shot of plantation dark rum, housemade cinnamon apple syrup garnished with an apple. The flavor is a light, delicious and refreshing hot beverage, perfect for a winter eve.
The just opened Del Frisco’s Grille in Cherry Creek North will lure libation lovers in with two holiday cocktails, offered through the entire month of December. Cozy up to the Cinnamon Apple Mule, with smooth apple bourbon, spicy-cinnamon-y Jim Beam Fire with ginger beer and fresh squeezed lime. If you’re looking for something served straight up and sweet, try the White Chocolate Candy Cane Martini with Stoli Vanil Vodka, Godiva White Chocolate, old-school Peppermint Schnapps and a dollop of cream. Finished with crushed candy canes, it’s a holiday drink to sip and celebrate the season.
Head west on I-70 to Hideaway Kitchen + Bar where they are shaking the Genesee Fog made of peppered vodka, egg white, sage, and crumbled walnuts: and the Woodland Spice made of Reposado Tequila, housemade honey simple syrup, and Chef Nick’s Five Spice Blend.
At MAX’s Wine Dive the holidays have brought a comfort-cocktail classic, MAX’s style, with an Irish Coffee rich with Jameson, Coole Swan Crème Liqueur and french pressed coffee capped by house Chantilly for a creamy, surprisingly complex and utterly delicious boozy sipper that soothes the senses and warms the soul.
The Market, an iconic restaurant, bakery, coffee bar, deli and specialty store in the heart of Denver’s historic Larimer Square serves up an extensive list of 13 different $7 hot toddies that will warm you up in no time. Order a Snow Bunny, a peppermint mocha with peppermint Schnapps, a Caramel Apple Coffee with whiskey, caramel sauce, apple syrup and coffee, a traditional Irish Coffee with Irish whiskey, coffee, sugar and whipped cream or a Mudslide Latte with espresso, hot milk and Bailey’s.
Warm up with Tamayo’s Café de Olla with a shot of Grand Marnier for $10. Mixed with fresh orange, cinnamon, sugar and steaming coffee, this is sure to have you feeling toasty in no time.