The great Mandarin Oriental, Miami is hosting its 2016 interactive cooking class series featuring Chefs Benjamin Murray of Azul and Diego Oka of La Mar by Gaston Acurio. Guests will have an opportunity to book individual classes or get a class with a luxury stay at the Mandarin Oriental, one of Miami’s most luxurious hotels.
At Azul, Chef Murray will share his cooking tips on how to prepare the “ultimate’’ gourmet lunch during an interactive session held in the restaurant’s marble-clad open kitchen. A three-course tasting menu will be matched with flights of premium wines by sommelier Dwayne Savoie.
In the high-energy La Mar restaurant, Chef Oka (one of my favorite SoFla chefs) will take guests on a culinary journey through Peru demonstrating classic dishes such as the traditional Cebiche utilizing the cooking technique of marinating fish in lime juice and a selection of Causas, mashed potato topped with seafood. Guests will also enjoy a traditional Pisco Sour cocktail lesson at La Mar’s waterfront bar by Lef Kraounakis.
An entertaining and learning experience, guests with a passion for food will discover new flavor techniques and learn the skills to present beautiful plates, as they participate in the creation of epicurean delights. Student chefs will receive recipe cards and cooking notes for easy step-by-step reference. Upon completion of each class, graduates will also receive a signature apron.
The 2016 cooking classes will be offered as follows:
• Friday, March 18: Art of Cebiche with Chef Oka of La Mar
• Saturday, April 9: Springtime Flavors with Chef Murray of Azul
• Friday, May 6: Causa Tasting with Chef Oka of La Mar
• Saturday, June 11: Japanese Techniques with Chef Murray of Azul
• Saturday, September 24: Couples Cooking with Chef Murray of Azul
• Saturday, November 12: Festive Ways to Prepare for the Holidays with Chef Murray of Azul
• Friday, December 9: The Secrets of Leche de Tigre with Chef Oka of La Mar
Individual classes are $175 per person at Azul and $100 per person at La Mar. All pricing is plus tax and pre-registration and payment required. Classes at Azul will be held on Saturdays from 10 am to 1 pm. At La Mar, classes will be held on Fridays from 6 pm to 7:30 pm.