On May 15 at 7 p.m. the Kent Historical Society is hosting Kent residents, Alicia North and her brother Chris Harrington to talk about the mysterious Molly Fisher Rock. This mysterious rock first documented in 1789 by a President of Yale University has ties to Captain Kidd’s buried treasure, ancient petroglyphs and a colorful medicine woman that was reputed to heal towns people with her mysterious potions made from herbs.
In Kent’s early history, Fisher was a legendary figure that was born in 1750. She never married or had a home of her own and some think that she wandered throughout the state. Historic research notes that she would mysteriously appear in the village of Kent when one of the residents fell ill and would nurse them back to health with her potions and herbs. As the person she cared for began to recover, Fisher would disappear as quickly as she seemed to appear at their moment of need. It was also noted in Kent’s historic records that Fisher was especially attentive to those that were poor and often gave away things of value that were given to her as a reward for her care by more prosperous residents. Many considered Fisher a witch.
The tale goes that while in Kent, Fisher would visit a strange rock with petroglyphs on it. Townspeople heard her say that Captain Kidd buried chests of gold near this strange rock. A similar rock with the same strange writing on it was found in Old Saybrook, Connecticut where Captain Kidd made his headquarters. Many wonder if Captain Kidd buried his treasure near the rock and sent Fisher to check up on it. The rock is located about three miles south of the village of Kent on Spooner Hill.
Growing up near Molly Fisher Rock, North and Harrington became fascinated with the folklore associated with it and will share many fascinating tales associated with this rock on May 15. The program will be held at Kent Town Hall located on 41 Kent Green Blvd. in Kent. There is a suggested $5 donation fee.
If the May 15 lecture peaks your interest, be sure not to miss the hike to Molly Fisher Rock on Saturday, May 21 at 2 p.m. To register for the hike please email email@example.com.
Kent also offers a fine dining opportunity at the award winning Fife’n Drum Restaurant and Inn established in 1973 by the famous pianist Dolph Traymon. The Fife, as it is known locally is on 53 North Main Street (Rte. 7) in Kent. Here you can grab a quick bite for lunch or have a romantic dinner. The menus are seasonal and offer a wide variety of options for everyone from meat eaters to vegetarians.