According to DaysoftheYear.com, Friday, March 25th is Waffle Day. That’s today! To celebrate Dave and Sue Labrie, owners and innkeepers at Inn at Harbor Hill Marina, will debut their new Double Chocolate Waffle recipe. No strangers to decadent breakfasts, this recipe may just top them all for a sweet way to start the day!
Located just over two hours from Boston, guests at the Inn at Harbor Hill Marina wake up each morning to beautiful views of boats coming and going during the warmer months, and a quiet marina in the winter. A fabulous buffet breakfast, filled with homemade offerings from the Inn at Harbor Hill Marina’s kitchen fuel guests for a day of exploring Mystic Country and Niantic, CT.
Why not celebrate Waffle Day with Dave’s Double Chocolate Waffles? Better yet, make a reservation to enjoy one of the Inn at Harbor Hill Marina’s wonderful breakfasts included in your own getaway!
Dave’s Double-Chocolate Waffle Recipe from Inn at Harbor Hill Marina
(makes 10 – 4” waffles / 2 waffles per person)
2 Cups all-purpose Flour
3 Tablespoons Hershey’s “Special Dark” Cocoa
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Ovaltine Chocolate Malted Milk Powder
** Nestle’ Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels (as desired)
2 large eggs
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 3/4 Cups low-fat milk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1. Add dry ingredients to smaller mixing bowl, mix well & set aside.
2. Add remaining “wet” ingredients to larger bowl, blend until smooth and then add above dry ingredients.
3. Fold dry ingredients into wet batter. Important, do not over mix.
It’s ok to have large ½” lumps in batter.
4. Let batter sit for 15-30 minutes before using.
5. Turn Waffle Iron on and set to highest setting “Crispy”. (Waffle Iron heats up in approx. 5 minutes).
6. Pour just under ½ cup batter into each 4” square. Note: batter spreads and rises, so you don’t want to overfill your waffle iron squares or batter will come out the sides.
7. Sprinkle approx. 1 Tablespoon Choc Chip Morsels over each waffle before closing waffle iron.
8. Cook until steam evaporates (approx 3-4 minutes).
And as a bonus, here a few tips about making the perfect waffle from Breakfast Champ, Dave Labrie (Innkeeper/co-owner of Inn at Harbor Hill Marina and master recipe creator!)
1. NEVER USE COOKING SPRAY (nothing is needed on waffle iron)
2. Serve 2 waffles per person
3. Top with sliced Strawberries, Whipped Cream and finish by drizzling warmed Nutulla or Choc sauce overall.
Of course, with cranberries practically the “state fruit” of Cape Cod, it makes good sense that we’d share the Captain House Inn’s signature recipe for Cranberry waffles, a colorful treat for guests.
When you Go:
Inn at Harbor Hill Marina, 60 Grand Street, Niantic, CT 06357, (860) 739-0331, www.InnHarborHill.com.
The Inn at Harbor Hill Marina is a beautiful waterfront B&B nestled in the marina district of Niantic, not far from Mystic, CT. The inn is made up of two buildings – the original ‘Main Inn’ and the newer ‘Captain Clark House’. Besides fabulous breakfasts, guests are treated to magnificent water views from any one of the 16 guestrooms, each with its own unique decor and special amenities. Guest rooms offer queen or king beds, soaking tubs, fireplaces and private balconies. Guests can book online or call 860-739-0331 to book a stay.