February marks the month of love, and of the best shopping destinations to buy the most unique and one-of-a-kind gifts for loved ones is eBay. eBay, a trusted destination for fine jewelry, has seen an average increase of 41% in engagement ring purchases during “Proposal Season” (November to February) since 2008.* With all things love top of mind, eBay looked at recent sales of engagement rings to find out what’s trending for 2016. According to eBay sales data:
- Popularity of vintage engagement rings (defined as a piece that is at least 20 years old according to jewelers) has grown over 200% since 2011.*
- In the last three years, 28% of antique rings have made up the market of engagement rings on eBay.*
- Since 2008, there has been an increase of 164% antique, vintage and estate engagement rings sold on eBay.**
If it’s the time to be browsing and buying engagement rings for you leading lady, eBay has it all figured out. eBay’s curated “Diamonds Through The Decades” infographic is inspired by leading ladies through the decades, from Marilyn Monroe, to Princess Diana, to Amal Clooney. Now, with eBay’s assortment of vintage engagement rings available to all shoppers, lovebirds can make their celeb-inspired ring purchases on eBay.
It may not be engagement season for everyone, but it’s always a perfect time to shower loved ones with gifts for any occasion. Shop for the perfect gift for loved ones on eBay, where a curated assortment of ideas and deals for all of the loved ones in your life available, including 80% off 14K White Gold Diamond Stud Earrings and 15% off three-bottles of N/V G.H. Mumm Cordon Rouge Champagne. Below is an interview with estate jewelers and a top eBay seller Gleem & Co, to provide further light on engagement ring trends.
- What are some of Gleem & Co’s most sort after bridal collections? In our bridal collections, the classics always prevail! We work with brides on finding the perfect sets, usually including diamonds and/or pearls. Tennis bracelets, diamond studs, solitaire necklaces and pearl earrings with diamond halos are very classical and elegant. These tend to be more costly, but it’s worth it for the special memories (and you can wear it forever). We’ve even been asked to source tennis bracelets for entire bridal parties!
- What makes Gleem & Co different and special from other jewelers? Having an online presence and being able to source from all around the world definitely helps us differentiate ourselves from local jewelers on a curation level. Instead of seeing pieces that are available near your local jeweler, Gleem offers the best pieces from India, Hong Kong, New York, LA, Paris, Milan and beyond. Being online, we are also able to offer the next level of luxury – finding pieces at your own pace and in the comfort of your home. Finally, our appraisals are best in class. We are completely transparent on how each piece is valued and even offer a discount to appraisal. We’ve also partnered with eBay to create a store so our access to global buyers has expanded rapidly as well.
- Are all the jewelry pieces on Gleem & Co 100% authentic/genuine, and does Gleem & Co offer GIA certificates? We definitely are best in class when it comes to authenticy and appraisals. Gleem has a Master Appraiser who inspects and provides an internationally recognized appraisal report for every single piece. He actually has the distinction of being one of only 46 appraisers in the world accrediated by ASA, the highest body of appraisers. We are completely transparent about the appraisal and pricing process. With our eBay partnership, we are in good company as well- eBay regularly monitors the jewelry category to protect buyers and has risk prevention measures. The eBay Money Back Guarantee program is particularly impressive in protecting buyers against fraud.
- Does Gleem & Co accept returns or refunds? This is another differentiator for Gleem. Other stores will never accept a return, but we completely understand that sometimes a piece isn’t what you thought it would be. So we have a no hassle, free return shipping policy, which is good for 14 days after shipment.
- What types of engagement rings do you think are trending this spring, summer and fall? At Gleem, we see truly individual and timeless rings rising in popularity. Specifically, we have sold high numbers of colored stones and estate rings this season. We’ve even seen big pearl rings with diamond side stones become more popular. eBay did a deep dive into trending engagement rings and found the below statistics:
– Popularity of vintage engagement rings (defined as a piece that is at least 20 years old according to jewelers) has grown over 200% since 2011.*
– In the last three years, 28% of antique rings have made up the market of engagement rings on eBay.*
– Since 2008, there has been an increase of 164% antique, vintage and estate engagement rings sold on eBay.**
*Data based on most popular engagement rings purchased on eBay in the U.S. from January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2015.
**Data based on most popular engagement rings purchased on eBay in the U.S. from November 1, 2008 to January 25, 2016.