Working out in winter takes a lot of motivation, even for fitness freaks. None of us want to get up early, get into their work out clothes and hit the wet, miserable roads for their daily cardio fix. Unfortunately, if you don’t get your cardio in during the winter months, you can say a fond farewell to the dream bodies you planned for summer. Before you give up hope, though, here are some awesome cardio workouts you can do from the comfort of your warm and cosy home.
- Indoor Cycling.
Invest in an exercise bike and get some great cardio in with just 20 minutes of cycling per session. Some tips to get the best out of your cycling session are as follows:
- Start pedaling with a bit of resistance.
- Instead of maintaining a constant speed throughout your workout, work in intervals. For example, spin as fast as possible for about 40 seconds at a high resistance and then lower the resistance for 20 seconds. Repeat until your session is finished.
Spinning is a great metabolism booster, a fantastic cardio workout and helps with weight loss.
- Jump Rope
A fifteen-minute session with a jump rope is a great cardio workout to get the heart pumping! A quick and easy routine is as follows:
- Start using both legs to jump over the rope. This is called the Basic Jump.
- Next up is the alternate foot jump. For this move, swing the rope over your head and jump, landing on your right foot. Alternate with each foot.
- The combo jump consists of combing the basic jumps a few time, and then doing the combo jump to alternate.
Everyone loves dancing-whether you’re a great dancer or a terrible one. Dancing in the privacy of your own home is not only fun, but will save you the embarrassment of trying out some new moves in front of other people. Choose a fun and funky playlist and dance to your heart’s content. Dancing is a great cardio workout and will never leave you bored.
- Trampoline Bouncing
Invest in a mini trampoline that can fit in your sitting room, or any other room of your preference, and use it for an excellent cardio workout. You can burn over 160 calories with just half an hour of bouncing and it is also loads of fun. To make the most of this exercise, follow this routine:
- The Basic Bounce
With your arms bent with elbows to your sides, and feet 6 inches apart, bend your knees slightly and bounce! Repeat this basic bounce about 30 times.
- Trampoline Prance
With your feet about 6 inches apart, put your hand on your hips and slightly bend your knees. Bounce while raising your right foot to your hip and then alternate with your left. Repeat this about 60 times (30 on each leg)
- Trampoline Squats
Keep your feet together with your arms at your sides. With each jump, spread your feet and land in a squatting position with bent knees. Keep your arms in front of you. Repeat this set 20 times.
So, no more excuses as to why you can’t achieve that summer body despite the cold weather. These exercises are also great for stay at home moms who don’t have time to hit the gym.