Pillsbury has been circulating a recipe for Easter treats that they call “Bunny Butt Cookies.” When my cupcake class made these, we called them “Bunnies go down the hole” cookies/cupcakes. Whatever you name them, they are bound to make you smile. When working with children, be flexible. For my classes, I simply provided a host of materials and let children choose what they wanted to use. Of course pastel colors are perfect for any Easter or spring recipes, so bring on the pink and white frosting and the candy sprinkles with the little flowers in it, but you may also want to provide green-tinted coconut (simply shape in a Ziploc bag with green food coloring), pastel chocolate bits, mini marshmallows that have been cut in half and colored sugar to dip them in (for flowers), Some children may prefer cupcakes to cookies (they give more of a 3-D effect, as if the bunnies are plunging into the rabbit hole). In that case, crushed Oreos or chocolate wafers provide the perfect “dirt” and they loved the addition of a few gummy worms to add that ‘dirt’ flavor. The original cookies are perfect for little gifts or for sharing at Easter dinner, so here is their recipe:
The Original Recipe
- 1 roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury™ refrigerated sugar cookies
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 container (12 oz) fluffy white whipped ready-to-spread frosting
- Pink gel food color, if desired
- 22 miniature marshmallows
- Assorted size candy sprinkles
- Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, knead cookie dough and flour with hands until well mixed.
- Reshape dough into 9×1 1/2-inch log.
- Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.Remove plastic wrap. Cut cookie dough into 33 slices. Cut 11 slices into 4 equal wedges; shape each wedge into ovals for bunny feet. Place cookie dough slices and bunny feet on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 12 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- In medium microwavable bowl, stir frosting and 1 to 3 drops pink food color until well blended. Microwave uncovered on High 10 to 15 seconds or until soft but not translucent.
- To make bunny butt, frost 1 whole cookie slice and 2 bunny feet with frosting. Place bunny feet on bottom of cookie as shown in photo. Place 1 marshmallow in center of each cookie for tail. Decorate bunny paws with candy sprinkles. Repeat with remaining cookie slices and bunny feet.