Tap water or filtered water? This is a debate that is a never-ending one. Although water in the United States is mostly free of certain microorganisms that can cause certain illnesses there’s no real guarantee that it’s 100% safe for you. Tap water is chlorinated before it gets to our taps to drink, but who wants to drink water that tastes and smells like chlorine? Not to mention how all that chlorine and either added or unfiltered foods can contaminate or change the flavor of the foods that you cook. You might think that by if the tap water you use will become safer to drink as you cook with it, but that’s not always the case as you may not heat the water up long enough or hot enough to make a real and beneficial difference. So the next time you go to cook your favorite meal, here are five tips from PUR to keep your favorite recipes healthy and tasting great without adding any ‘bad ingredients’ to your meal.
- If your tap water is contaminated with anything that alters its taste, namely chlorine, you can guarantee that if you use that water to cook it’s going to affect the taste of the whatever you’re cooking. Instead of going through gallons of filtered water, consider investing in a water filter for your tap like the easy-to-install and use PUR Faucet Mount. With the ability to give you 100 gallons of clean, healthy, great-tasting water straight from your sink, you can guarantee tastier and healthier meals for you and your family.
- Did you know that at least 42% of all Americans have never filtered the water they use to make coffee? Believe it or not these people are missing out on the best cup of coffee they’ve ever had! By switching up tap water to filtered water, you have the right minerals needed to brew the best cup of coffee you’ll ever taste. Better yet, you’ll save a ton of money drinking your own brew instead of Starbucks every day!
- Have you tried baking and found that it’s not your best attempt in the kitchen? Fear not! It’s not you, it’s the water you’re using! Certain chemicals like calcium and magnesium and even chlorine-rich tap water will definitely affect the outcome of baked goods in the way that they change the way yeast acts. Another reason for using filtered water? Certain minerals can also change the gluten structure of yeast dough. Now you know why your dough is taking too long to rise! For better rising and tasting baked goods use filtered water from a PUR Faucet Mount instead.
- When it comes to boiling foods, using filtered water from a filtering system like the PUR Faucet Mount all your vegetables, pastas and rice will automatically taste better. Filtered water eliminates 70 key contaminants (including lead, mercury and pesticides) that are found in regular tap water Also certain foods retain their textures like pastas and rice. So instead of sticky rice and past, you’ll get fluffy and perfectly al dente pasta every time.
- Avoiding washing your fruits and vegetables in tap water. Think about it. Doesn’t using chlorine on your clothes take away their color? The same thing happens to fruits and vegetables when you wash them with tap water! They become stripped of their color, rendering them more often than not unappetizing to eat or use for cooking. You may even think that they’ve begun to ruin ahead of time because they no longer resemble the bright fruits and vegetables you originally purchased.
If you cook often for your family and have decided to start living a healthier lifestyle, there’s no reason to not invest in a water filter system like the PUR Faucet Mount. To learn more about PUR and all the filtration systems they have to offer, visit their site at www.pur.com/.