Everyone loves holiday parties. They are filled with fun and cheer and lots of food and drinks. However, not everyone enjoys all the alcohol consumed in the parties and the hangover after that. Here is a list of five non alcoholic drinks for guests who prefer their drinks without the booze.
1. Mimosa: Mimosa is a classic brunch drink with orange juice and champagne. However a non alcoholic version exists. Here is the recipe:
- 2 cups ginger ale
- 2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
Mix the two together and pour into champagne flutes. Serve chilled.
2. Virgin Mary: It is a classic twist on the Bloody Mary without the alcohol. Using V8 juice makes it less sour than tomato juice and also adds a hint of carrot and celery.
Virgin Mary Recipe
- 4 ounces tomato juice
- 1/2 ounce beef stock
- Dash of lemon juice
- 2 drops of Tabasco (or, to taste)
- Pinch of celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch of fresh ground black pepper
Pour everything right into the glass and stir well. Serve with a celery stalk.
3. Pink grapefruit Margarita: This is a great drink for parties with kids. The Margaritas are non alcoholic with a hint of lime.
Pink grapefruit Margarita Recipe
- 2 tablespoons colored sanding sugar
- 1 lime
- 6 teaspoons pomegranate syrup or grenadine
- 1 1/2 cups pink grapefruit juice
Cut the lime into thin rounds. Rub lime on the edges of the glasses and coat with sanding sugar. Pour 1 tsp pomegranate juice into each glass. In a blender put ice cubes and grapefruit juice and blend with the ice is crushed. Pour into glasses and serve with a wedge of lime.
4. Sangria: This is a great old fashioned sangria recipe which is good for backyard parties.
- 4 cups cranberry-grape juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 pear, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 3 cups lemon-lime soda
Mix all the ingredients in a glass pitcher except the soda and keep chilled. Before serving pour the soda and serve in drink glasses.
5. Maple cider: This is an adaptation from Bourbon maple cider minus the alcohol. A great drink to share during the holidays.
Maple cider recipe
- 16 ounces apple cider
- 4 ounces applejack
- 2 ounces maple syrup
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
Fill cocktail shaker with ice. Add apple jack, maple syrup, and bitters. Shake for 15 seconds, or until well chilled. Strain into ice-filled cocktail glasses, and then top each glass with 4 ounces cider.