In Buffalo, New York, a family is devastated after their dog died Wednesday night as a result of eating toxic metal wires left behind by a work crew from Verizon earlier this month, reports WkbwNews.
Cedar the dog, a six-year-old English Springer spaniel, had been part of the family since he was just eight-weeks-old. Left in the backyard of the home were telephone wires containing metals known to be extremely toxic to dogs. On the family’s GoFundMe page, the sad announcement was posted: “It is with extreme sadness and much frustration to provide this last update in the fight to save our beloved dog Cedar. At 10:30pm tonight Cedar passed away. He was recovering in an Oxygen chamber after a successful double blood transfusion, when our Doctor informed us that his lungs had collapsed with blood and he was not able to breath on his own. He died in our arms and is now resting in peace.”
Just one week ago, Cedar had been having trouble walking. When his owner, Gabriel Lullo brought the dog to their veterinarian, the dog was diagnosed in serious condition and was immediately placed on intravenous medications. Because of the seriousness of the dog’s condition, Cedar had been transferred to the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine.
Verizon sent a crew over to the Lullos’ home this week and confirmed wires and tools had been left in the family’s yard. The company acknowledged none of the materials should have been left behind. So far Verizon has offered to pay up to $5,000 of Cedar’s medical expenses. Rest in peace Cedar.
Follow the National Pet Rescue Examiner on Facebook.