They can be eaten boiled, fried, poached, scrambled – the list goes on. Yet, incredible edible eggs have gotten a bad rap because of their cholesterol content. But eliminating eggs completely from one’s diet may not be the best thing to do. In his article, “10 Proven Health Benefits of Eggs (No. 1 is My Favorite)”, Kris Gunnars classifies eggs as “superfood”. He groups eggs among the most nutritious foods on the planet. While he acknowledges that eggs contain over half the recommended daily intake of cholesterol, he writes that eggs do not raise cholesterol in 70% of people at all. He refers to the other 30% as “hyper responders” and asserts that eggs can mildly raise their total LDL cholesterol. Yet, for many people there are numerous health benefits that may be gained from eating eggs. Gunnars writes, “Eggs are among the best dietary sources of choline, a nutrient that is incredibly important but most people aren’t getting enough of.” Eggs are also high in protein, selenium, and several B vitamins. In her EverydayHealth.com article titled, “Unscrambling the Health Effects of Eggs”, Amy Kraft states, “The high cholesterol content in egg yolks can give people a scare. But that creamy, yellow center is loaded with nutrients to counter its negative qualities.”
There are countless ways to cook eggs. The following recipe can be prepared 24 hours ahead, or cooked on the same day. Meat can be left out for a lighter version of the casserole. Egg substitutes or egg whites can be used in place of eggs for a lower cholesterol version of the dish. Adjust all of the other ingredients to the number of eggs used.
6-12 eggs – or at least 2 eggs per person
1 to 2 cups of shredded cheese
Diced bell pepper – Use a combination of red and green peppers to make the casserole look festive.
Chopped chives or diced onions
Cleaned and sliced fresh mushrooms – Drained canned mushrooms can be substituted.
Pre-cooked breakfast meat – crumbled sausage, diced ham, or crumbled bacon
Salt and pepper to taste
Non-Stick cooking spray
Directions (for the night before):
Use an airtight food storage container large enough to hold all of the ingredients. Put in the eggs, half of the cheese, the bell pepper, onions, and mushrooms. Beat the eggs and the other ingredients in the container as though they were going to be cooked scrambled. Refrigerate the mixture in an airtight container. Refrigerate the remaining shredded cheese in a different airtight container to top the casserole with later. Refrigerate the cooked and cooled breakfast meat in a separate container to be added the next morning.
Directions (for the day the casserole will be eaten):
Preheat the oven to 350 to 400 degrees. Add the cooked breakfast meat, salt, and pepper to the other casserole ingredients and mix thoroughly. Spray a casserole dish or baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour all of the ingredients into the casserole dish or baking pan. Cook the casserole for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the center is well set. Remove the casserole from the oven and top with the reserved cheese. Put the casserole back into the oven until the cheese is melted on top. Remove the casserole and let it stand for about 1-2 minutes. Serve the casserole while it is still warm.
This article provides general information about eggs. It is not intended to be read as medical advice. If any reader has a medical concern regarding the consumption of eggs, he or she should consult with an appropriately licensed physician and/or dietician. Do not disregard professional medical advice.