Dylan Clark rolled a perfect game at AMF Bradenton Lanes. Al Ponte finished sixth with a score of plus-1 in quota points competition at Serenoa Golf & Country Club.
Which accomplishment is more-deserving of publicity in the Sarasota Herald-Tribune — or any area newspaper, for that matter? It should be obvious, but apparently not to H-T sports editor Scott Peterson.
Local bowling scores, such as Clark’s 300 game, have gone completely unreported on the H-T sports pages for more than five years, but local golf scores continue to receive daily play on Peterson’s scoreboard pages. Today alone, there are 11 column inches devoted to local golf in the H-T, and this week’s total is 82 inches. And today, there are reports from 20 local golf courses and 190 golfers’ names mentioned.
Therefore, if you want to know individual best-ball results from Bent Tree, team putts scores from Heritage Oaks or scramble summaries from Plantation Golf & Country Club, the Herald-Tribune is the place to look. But if you care to know about local bowling scores, byteclay.com is the source.
In that regard, Clark’s perfecto came in the TNT Custom Painting League, where he now carries a 215 average, and his 697 series came on scores of 185, 300 and 212.
Competing in the Cook Spring Invitational League at Sarasota Lanes, Cory Anderson fell one pin shy of perfection in his middle game of 299. He finished with a 731 series, upping his average to an even 200.
Two bowlers, Dickson Kincaid, Ken Allen and Dennis Zahrndt posted recent far-over-average series. Kincaid blasted a 218-over 701 series on scores of 222, 245 and 234 in the Nate’s Honor Animal Rescue League at Sarasota Lanes, while Allen and Zahrndt rolled in the My Salon Suite League at AMF Gulf Gate. Allen had a 162-over 645 set and Zahrndt was 144-over with a 663 series that included a 267 game.
In other notable scores reported from all seven area bowling establishments:
- TREASURE LANES: Dave Jodoin 289-743, Christopher Tompkinson 289-743, Robert Smith 279-737, Kenneth Jones 278-743, D.J. June 274, Kevin Ducas 270-762, Steve Perin 269, Scott Phaneuf 268, Ed Burlison 268, David Phillips 267-730, Tony Perin 267, Russ Kerchner 266, Tim Keenan 266, Mike Aleshire 716, Gary Krowka 706, George Barlow 702; Nancy Wroe 279-660, Rebecca Jones 263-663, Chris Kirk 232-610, Shirl Goble 225; junior bowler Kyle Roddick 268-695.
- AMF BRADENTON LANES: Richard Rounds 279, Don Neff 278, Matt Keime 277, Eric Thomas 270, Brad Taylor 269-737, Phil Larsen 269, Ed Bergles 268, Shawn Reeves 267, Terry Wood 265, Ron Fletcher 265, Shannon Moss 265, Bill Lehman 719, Wayne Slusser 707; Marsha Stehle 248-601, Paula Wenzel 243-613, Alison Shedrow 225, Rochelle Banks 649.
- SARASOTA LANES: Donny Johnson 289-762, Mike Rudolph 280, Anthony Bongiovanni 269-707, Paul Farmer 268-736, John Rawson 268, Carl Sawyer 267-763 and 266, Wes Marshall 266, Steve Baran 743, Nick Bruno 730, Mike Aleshire 706; Susan White 243-628, Barb Ripley 231-641, Karen Shaffer 225.
- AMF VENICE LANES: Jimmy Bruns 278-740, Joe Ferraro 278-713, Fred Wilson 278, Shawn Poneleit 269-704, John Carson 268, Bill Matley 268, George Barlow 266-723, Jim Theakos 754, Ken McDougall 731, Earl Knopf 713, Kevin Clark 713, Greg Sell 713; Mary Stary 244, Ginny Cataldo 238.
- BOWLAND PORT CHARLOTTE: Donald Schwartz 288, Gerald Lord 278-707, Raymond Divver 274, Tony Shore 265, Clarence Wisenbarger 723, James Creutz 730; Angelique Marchant 238-638.
- AMF GULF GATE LANES: T.J. Schuler 269, Matthew Hoffman 268; Janet Romig 256 and 233-642, Samantha Rocca-Linder 227-673.
- ENGLEWOOD BOWL: Ken Bruno 279, Mason Ward 776, Guy Jones 706, Mickey Ward 706.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald’s byteclay.com bowling columns — free of charge — by clicking on “Subscribe To Author” near the bottom of this article, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]