Tuesday evening, Donald Trump’s campaign announced that Trump would not attend the Thursday night’s debate to be held in Des Moines, Iowa. The Trump camp stated that Donald Trump will not attend due to what the campaign has perceived to be smears against the Republican and front running candidate. The latest war between Fox News and Donald Trump is just the latest in jabs between the two since the first Republican debate in August.
The war between the media news outlet and the business mogul reached a fever pitch after Fox journalist Megyn Kelly asked Trump, the now infamous question, “You’ve called women you don’t like, ‘fat pigs,’ ‘dogs,’ slobs, and disgusting animals,” Kelly opened a question to Trump. “Only Rosie O’Donnell,” Trump jokingly replied. Continuing Kelly stated then asked, “No it wasn’t. For the record, it was well beyond Rosie O’Donnell. Your Twitter account has several disparaging comments about women’s looks. You once told a contestant on ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees. Does that sound to you like the temperament of a man we should elect as president?” Trump replied that he did not follow political correctness and that Kelly had been biased in her questioning of Trump.
That was then, now we have a news outlet that released a statement that supposedly was tongue in check that if elected President, Trump would fire his cabinet and fill the gaps with Twitter followers. As a news agency the comments came off as smirky and not on the caliber of what one thinks of when dealing with an international news agency. Trump and his campaign was quick to point out the disrespect. The campaign released the following statement, “Roger Ailes and FOX News think they can toy with him, but Mr. Trump doesn’t play games. There have already been six debates, and according to all online debate polls including Drudge, Slate, Time Magazine, and many others, Mr. Trump has won all of them, in particular the last one. Whereas he has always been a job creator and not a debater, he nevertheless truly enjoys the debating process – and it has been very good for him, both in polls and popularity.”
The statement ended with, “He will not be participating in the FOX News debate and will instead host an event in Iowa to raise money for the Veterans and Wounded Warriors, who have been treated so horribly by our all talk, no action politicians. Like running for office as an extremely successful person, this takes guts and it is the kind of mentality our country needs in order to Make America Great Again.” Trump will not appear and now Fox News is scrambling to find a way out of the mess they created. Now the network has released a statement that Trump campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, had threatened that if Kelly were allowed to act as a moderator, Trump would not appear. Fox News said, “Capitulating to politicians’ ultimatums about a debate moderator violates all journalistic standards, as do threats, including the one leveled by Trump’s campaign manager Corey Lewandowski toward Megyn Kelly.” Fox News also stated that “Trump is still welcome at Thursday night’s debate and will be treated fairly, just as he has been during his 132 appearances on FOX News & FOX Business, but he can’t dictate the moderators or the questions.”
Trump will not participate in Thursday night’s Republican debate. Now it is left to the voters and viewers to see if there is either Fox News or Donald Trump’s campaign will suffer.