It’s that time of year where Division Street will become Bourbon Street in Chicago on Mardi Gras this Fat Tuesday, February 9, 2016. Division Street will mimic the revelry of New Orleans at six of Chicago’s celebratory spots on the strip: The Lodge Tavern, She-nannigans, the recently opened Coconutz Chicago, The Hangge-Uppe, Mother’s Too, and The Original Mother’s from 8:00 p.m. to midnight, all free of charge for patrons 21 and over.
On Division Street, street artists and stilt walkers and the roaming brass band Jaybird and the Jokers will spread the cheer until it’s time to repent. Inside at each participating location, a different custom bead necklace will be given to each attendee. Collect all six bead necklaces and enter to win $500 cash to be given away at midnight at The Original Mother’s, where the winner must be present. All locations will also offer $7 20-ounce Guinness draughts but only Coconutz Chicago will offer a $5 handmade Sazerac, Vieux Carre, and house made Hurricane cocktails. Let the good times roll!
Bourbon Street on Division Street Mardi Gras events for each location will be as follows:
- Mask Making & Acoustic Music at Mother’s Too: Make a Mardi Gras mask at Mother’s Too from 8:00 p.m. to midnight as acoustic music of NOLA fills the room.
- Jambalaya at The Lodge Tavern: Start the evening off with a taste of Creole cooking at The Lodge Tavern as they replace their free winter chili offering with free jambalaya for the evening, while supplies last, from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Comedy Gras at She-nannigans: Comedy Gras returns to the She-nannigans stage with host Jeff Arcuri, featuring standup comedy from Alex Kumin, Tim McLaughlin, and Marty DeRosa, at 8:00 p.m.
- Trumpet, Cocktails & Hors d’oeuvres at Coconutz Chicago: Enjoy a relaxed N’awlins style with a muted live trumpet, authentic handmade Sazerac, Vieux Carre, and Hurricane cocktails for only $5 plus complimentary passed appetizers from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Second Line Limbo at The Hangge-Uppe: New Orleans is famous for their second line parades to celebrate and for no reason at all. On Mardi Gras at The Hangge-Uppe, second line limbo from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Indigo Sun (Becomes Daft Punk) at The Original Mother’s: Things heat up when Chicago’s very own band, Indigo Sun http://indigosunjams.com, become Daft Punk from 9:00 p.m. to midnight where the $500 cash winner will be drawn at the end of the night.