As I prepare for my Disney cruise this weekend, I’m hoping the weather will be nice and warm for my visit to Castaway Cay. I love to snorkel or just bob around in the ocean on a float while my cares melt away.
Unfortunately, sometimes even an island paradise gets hit with chilly winter weather. I’m not sure exactly what the weather will be like this weekend, but I know I’ll have a great time even if it’s not hot enough for a wimpy Floridian like me to go swimming. If you’re thinking about doing a weekend cruise on the Disney Dream in the winter but wonder what Castaway Cay is like on cooler days, here are 10 things you can still do, even if it’s too cold to swim:
1) Go for a walk or run. Want to burn off some of those cruise calories and even score a medal? Sign up for the 5K on Castaway Cay. If you don’t want to move quite that quickly, there’s also an organized power walk in the morning. Check your Personal Navigator for details on both events.
2) Rent a bicycle. Biking is a great way to explore the various walking/biking baths on the island. If you’re traveling with kids, it’s a good opportunity for some family exercise. There’s a nominal bike rental fee and a variety of bicycles to fit all ages.
3) Climb the tower. You can walk or bike over to the Castaway Cay observation tower, climb it, and get a bird’s eye view of the ship and island.
4) Enjoy a BBQ lunch. Lunch is served on the island at Cookies and Cookies Too, so bring your appetite when you disembark.
5) Get a drink. You’ll find several bars on the island where you can belly up and enjoy a Konk Kooler or other refreshing tropical drinks in the perfect environment.
6) Go on a glass bottom boat ride. While most of the excursions on Castaway Cay involve the water, like snorkeling, kayaking, or petting the stingrays, you can see ocean critters on a glass bottom boat without ever getting wet. It’s a great port adventure for cooler days (or even warmer ones).
7) Get photos with the Disney characters. Characters appear on the island throughout the day, and the lines are often much shorter than those you’ll encounter on the ship. See how many character photos you can rack up throughout the day on Castaway Cay.
8) Book a massage. Getting a massage in a private cabana with the adult beach as your backdrop is the ultimate in relaxation. You’ll need to book this early, as massage appointments on the island go fast.
9) Do some shopping. In addition to the Disney gift shop, you’ll find a mini Bahamian market, but without all the pushiness of the Nassau Straw Market. There’s even hair braiding if someone in your party just can’t resist an island hair style.
10) Relax in the sun. Even if you don’t swim, there’s no reason you can’t wear something warmer than a swim suit and hang out on the beach in a lounge chair or hammock. Bring your music or something to read and enjoy the serenity.