Comic-Con International and Lionsgate have teamed up to launch the website Comic-Con HQ, a subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) service, which will officially debut in June 2016. The ad-free streaming servide will feature original series as well as “an eclectic collection of licensed film an TV series featuring genre greats and hidden gems from science-fiction, fantasy, cult classics, action/adventure and horror,” according to a press release issued on March 14, 2016. People can sign up to get free beta access to Comic-Con HQ, with free access beginning on May 7, 2016 (Free Comic Book Day), via their browsers and iOS/Android devices. Comic-Con HQ also be available on Roku, AppleTV and Xbox One, with additional devices and distribution platforms to be announced throughout the year.
Comic-Con International is the the world’s leading annual pop-culture event for fans of sci-fi, horror, action and fantasy entertainment. Held in San Diego every July, the convention had 130,000 attendees in 2015, according to Comic-Con.
Lionsgate is a leading independent producer and distributor of movies and TV series, including “The Hunger Games” franchise, The “Saw” franchise,” “Orange Is the New Black,” “Nashville” and “The Divergent” franchise. Other recent movies released by Lionsgate include “John Wick” and “The DUFF.” In 2015, Lions Gate created Lionsgate Premiere, which usually releases movies in theaters and VOD on the same day.
According the Comic-Con HQ press release, the services’ original series will include:
- G4 alum Adam Sessler will executive produce programs on comics, science and gaming, along with hosting his own insightful 1:1 interview series.
- Fellow G4 star Kevin Pereira and his company Attack Media will executive produce an entertainment pop culture news show and a late night talk show format.
- Other formats on the fast track are two roundtable discussion shows: one weekly movie talk in partnership with Complex’s Collider inspired by their popular Collider Movie Talk series, and another all-female panel on pop culture from a female perspective.
- Original scripted comedy series “Kings of Con” inspired by real-life fan convention experiences from Supernatural stars Richard Speight and Rob Benedict
- The science entertainment program “Impossible Science,” starring world champion illusionist Jason Latimer, who explores breakthrough technologies capable of achieving his seemingly impossible feats of magic with real science
- The unscripted series with fangirl fashion company and lifestyle brand Her Universe, hosted by founder and actress Ashley Eckstein, following contestants as they design their geek couture concepts for the catwalk of a live San Diego Comic-Con fashion show in July. These series are the first of many originals to be revealed in the weeks leading up to SDCC.
- Unparalleled San Diego Comic-Con access with live-streamed CCHQ programming, airings of select Comic-Con panels, and immersive access to the convention floor and sanctioned events never before available to the public, such as the Masquerade and the Eisner Awards. Members will enjoy interviews and previews available only on CCHQ in a growing library of new and archival panels, bonus features, behind-the-scenes previews and more.