A great way to spice up your family vacation is to take a trip to the circus, but not just any circus…Cirque du Soleil. One of their latest shows on tour is Kurios: Cabinet of Curiosities. This show tells the story of an inventor (The Seeker) who creates a machine that defies the laws of time, space and dimension. With the use of creative sets, unusual talent, incomparable athleticism, lots of drama (and a little laughter too), the show is sure to entertain all family members.
The show takes place on a stage that looks like an inventors studio, with flickering filament bulbs, robot-looking creatures, twisting metal cranks, and contraptions pieced together from miscellaneous parts. With artistic lighting, creative characters and meaningful live music, the stage comes to life in various ways throughout the show.
Along the journey, the audience encounters several key characters, including Mr. Microcosmos, the leader of the group who embodies technological progress and travels in his own self-contained, self-subsisting ecosystem (with a tiny woman, Mini Lili, representing his subconscious, that shockingly pops out of his metal belly!); Nico, the awkward handyman with accordion legs; The Kurios clunky robots; Klara, whose hoop skirt represents waves used for telecommunications.
Although the storyline is entertaining, the heart of the show is the unbelievable athletic talent that is present on stage. Kurios features the following acts (This is not a complete list and is subject to change):
• Contortionists dressed like electric eels come to life on a larger-than-life Mechanical Hand in this stunning, fast-paced and fluid act.
• In Upside Down World, a dinner guest climbs a stack of wobbly chairs in an attempt to reach a chandelier. Simultaneously, the same scene unfolds… but upside down!
• Rola Bola is fearless Aviator who balances on an impressive, tottering structure built of cylinders and planks resting on a trapeze platform.
• The Acro Net showcases trampoline and acrobatic skills of cast members dressed as underwater creatures flying through the air.
• In the Aerial Bike act, a cast member uses a bicycle suspended in air to perform trapeze-type movements.
• The Hand Puppetry performance, broadcast on an inflatable screen, brings lightheartedness and imagination to the show as a hand comes to life with a hat and tiny shoes and takes a journey that includes hip-hop dancing, swimming, and romance.
• An audience favorite seemed to be when the clown-type character picks someone out of the audience and pretends set the scene for a date where he does a laughter-inducing impersonation of a cat.
The attention to the details makes the awe-inspiring show a hit. From the dramatic live music, intricate costumes and theatrical make up, scene-setting stage, and colorful, rich characters, this is a show not to be missed.
Tickets can be purchased online or by calling 1-800-450-1480
Show Dates are as follows:
Atlanta, GA, Opens on March 3 2016
Boston, MA, Opens on May 26 2016
Washington, DC, Opens on July 21 2016
New York, NY, Opens on September 29 2016
Reviewer’s Statement: Admission to Cirque Du Soleil Kurios was provided for this review.
Enjoy this article? Receive email alerts when new articles on this topic are available. Just click on the “Subscribe to Author” button below.