Everyone seems to love Chex mix to snack on or to give as holiday gifts. Here are three delicious and easy to make variations of the typical Chex mix snack.
1 box Crispix
1 box Corn Chex
1 box Rice Chex
1 pound raisins
1 pound nuts, your choice
To make the syrup
1 pound butter
2 pounds brown sugar
1 cup Karo white corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Syrup: Combine all ingredients except vanilla extract.
- Heat to boiling and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Pour over dry ingredients mixture and stir well.
- Spray large cookie sheets with a vegetable cooking spray.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 1 hour.
Crunchy Cherry Party Mix
4 cups bite-size corn chex cereal or rice chex cereal
2 cups bite-size wheat chex cereal
2 cups broken whole grain Melba toast
2 cups small pretzel twists
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 1/2 cups dried tart cherries
- Put chex cereal, Melba toast and pretzels in a large bowl; stir to mix.
- In a glass measuring cup or small bowl, stir together melted margarine or butter, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and ground red pepper.
- Drizzle over cereal mixture.
- Toss to coat.
- Spread cereal mixture in a large baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 300 degree F oven about 25 minutes, stirring every 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven; stir in dried cherries.
- Pour onto aluminum foil to cool completely.
- Store in a tightly covered container.
Italian Chex Mix
8 cups Rice Chex cereal
1/2 cup salted soy nuts (roasted soybeans)
3 tablespoons olive or canola oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 cups popped corn
1/3 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- In large bowl, mix cereal and soy nuts.
- In small bowl, mix oil, vinegar, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- Pour over cereal mixture, stirring to coat.
- Stir in popcorn until well mixed.
- Spread in un greased large roasting pan.
- Bake uncovered 15 minutes.
- Stir in cheese until well mixed.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until mixture is toasted.
- Spread on waxed paper to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Store in airtight container.