As temperatures plunge across the country, soup and a sandwich helps your family celebrate National Soup Month as you stay toasty warm indoors. National Soup Month, launched by Campbell’s Soup in 1984, highlights the variety of ways to enjoy soup – as a snack, meal or recipe helper – during one of the traditionally coldest months of the year.
Here are some souper facts to share with the kids for National Soup Month:
Dr. John T. Dorrance discovered the process for making condensed soups in 1897, which helped make soup one of the first convenience foods.
The original logo for Campbell Soup Company’s celebration of National Soup Month from 1984 featured a bowl of tomato soup, still a favorite of kids everywhere.
Soup lovers across America consume 15 million bowls of soup each year.
Andy Warhol painted 32 Campbell Soup varieties in 1962. Today Campbell offers over 130 varieties of soup.
Tomato Soup and Chicken Noodle Soup are in the top 20 food items sold in grocery stores every week.
There are 32 feet of noodles in each can of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup.
With Campbell’s special edition Star Wars Condensed Soup, the Rebel Alliance labels are outselling Dark Force characters 2:1.
Whether you prefer homemade soup or canned soup, nothing beats a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter’s day. Put dinner on the table in less than 10 minutes with this easy tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich recipe from Campbell’s Soup.
Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese Sandwich
2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each ) Campbell’s Condensed Tomato Soup
2 2/3 cups water
8 teaspoons butter, softened
8 slices Pepperidge Farm White Calcium Enriched Sliced Sandwich Bread
8 slices processed American cheese food product
1. Heat the soup and water in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until the mixture is hot and bubbling, stirring occasionally.
2. Spread the butter on the bread slices.
3. Place 4 bread slices, butter-side down, into a 12-inch skillet. Top with the cheese slices and remaining bread slices, butter-side up. Cook over medium heat until the sandwiches are lightly browned on both sides and the cheese is melted.
Kids of all ages love Campbell’s special edition Star Wars Condensed Soup, filled with all of their favorite characters. Moms and dads love that all of the Star Wars varieties are made without preservatives or artificial flavors. Check out the limited edition Star Wars SpaghettiOs too.
Some other kid-friendly sandwiches to pair with soup include:
- Grilled ham and cheese — just add sliced ham to the grilled cheese recipe and you have a hearty sandwich kids will love.
- Peanut butter and jelly — add your favorite flavor of jelly to peanut butter to make this perennial kid favorite.
- Hot dogs — a sandwich doesn’t have to be between two slices of bread. Cook hot dogs in a hurry in the microwave and serve on buns.
- Hoagies — pile buns high with your child’s favorite lunch meats and cheeses to create a unique hoagie sandwich.
You’ll find lots of soup recipes on my Pinterest Soup board, including crock pot soup recipes and copycat Panera Bread, Olive Garden and Cracker Barrel soup recipes. Enjoy soup and a sandwich for dinner tonight or plan ahead for a weeknight meal that’s fast and easy — and oh so yummy. Soup — it’s what’s for dinner.