Two popular tuna brands that are intended for humans but that are sometimes consumed by cats are the subject of new recalls.
The recalls involve tens of thousands of cases of Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea tuna and have been initiated due to possible health risks. Bumble Bee Foods, which makes Bumble Bee, and Tri-Union Seafood, which makes Chicken of the Sea, both said that their sterilization processes experienced “deviations” that “could result in contamination by spoilage organisms or pathogens, which could lead to life-threatening illness if consumed.”
Bumble Bee Foods said in a March 16 press release that “possible under-processing of the affected products” was discovered during its routine quality audit. Tri-Union Seafood said in a March 17 press release that its recalled tuna product “may have been undercooked due to an equipment malfunction, which was uncovered during a routine inspection.”
While tuna is usually not recommended as a meal for cats, some cat parents feed it to pets as a treat. Tuna is also often used to entice feral cats into traps as part of trap-neuter-return programs.
Chicken of the Sea spokeswoman Rebecca Howe Schmidt told byteclay.com that the potential contamination could harm cats as well as people. Lauren Sucher, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, said, “When human food is recalled due to a health or safety concern, it may be prudent to not feed that food to animals. Depending on the contaminant (i.e. the type of pathogen or bacteria) the food may also pose a health risk to animals as well as humans.”
The recalled Bumble Bee products, which are marked with a can code that starts with a “T” (example: TOA2BSCAFB), are:
- 5oz Bumble Bee Chunk Light Tuna in Water, UPC code 8660000020, Best By Dates 02/10/2019, 02/16/2019, 02/17/2019, 02/18/2019, 02/22/2019, 02/23/2019, 02/25/2019
- 5oz Bumble Bee Chunk Light Tuna in Oil, UPC code 8660000021, Best By Date 02/23/2019
- 4 Pack of 5oz Bumble Bee Chunk Light Tuna in Water, UPC code 8660000736, Best By Dates 02/9/2019, 02/10/2019, 02/22/2019, 02/29/2019
The recalled Chicken of the Sea products are:
- Chicken of the Sea 5 Oz. Canned Chunk Light Tuna in Oil; UPC code 0 4800000195 5; Lot codes 6OA3Z SCEES, 6OAAZ SCEES, 6OABZ SCEEB, 6OACZ SCEEB; Best By Date 2/10/19.
- Chicken of the Sea 5 Oz. Canned Chunk Light Tuna in Water; UPC code 0 4800000245 7; Lot code and Best By Date: 6OJEB SCAEB, 2/18/19; 6OJCB SCAFB, 2/18/19; 60NEB SCAIB, 2/22/19; 600FZ SCAFB, 2/23/19; 6ORDB SCAFB, 2/25/19; 60RAB SCAFB, 2/25/19; 6L2CB SCAFB, 3/2/19; 6L32B SCAEB, 3/3/19; 6L33B SCAEB, 3/3/19; 6L35B SCAEB, 3/3/19; 6L3CB SCAEB, 3/3/19.
Bumble Bee advised consumers to throw away its recalled product or call 888-820-1947 to request a reimbursement. Tri-Union said consumers may return the recalled Chicken of the Sea to the store where they bought it for a full refund.