Virginia City, NV is a historical mining town and a short 30-minute drive from Reno-Tahoe Airport. You can experience this boomtown as it was in the 1800’s. Travel back in time while visiting historic buildings, saloons, churches, museums, mines, and even ride an authentic steam train.
This St. Patrick’s Day weekend will be a great way to experience the 25th Annual Rocky Mountain Oyster Fry, sponsored by New West Distributing and Dolan Auto Group. On March 12, 2016 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., these tasty testes will take center stage in the center of town. While they may be called oysters, there is no resemblance in flavor or texture to the aquatic variety. The St. Patrick’s Day Parade and the Ball Breaker Saloon Crawl, sponsored by Virginia City’s Cemetery Gin, will also get you in the spirit. Make sure to come dressed in your finest green garb.
More than 20 cooks from around the region will compete in the event. Rocky mountain oysters can be fried, chopped, grilled, sautéed, and combined with all manner of culinary and creative execution. The competition consists of these categories: Best Overall Taste ($500 for 1st place), Best Presentation ($250 for 1st place), Best Booth ($250 for 1st place), Most Creative Dish ($250 for 1st place), and People’s Choice ($250 for 1st place). As with any competition, bragging rights go a long way, especially as the Best Rocky Mountain Oyster Cook in the West.
The Ball Breaker Saloon Crawl will take place in Virginia City’s various saloons. They will be offering samples (with cup purchase) and discounted beer and specialty drinks throughout the day.
A costume contest and live Irish music will enliven the festival. The local shops and merchants will also be offering their own St. Patrick’s Day specials along with festive décor.
Do you have the cojones to try these tasty teste treats? Make plans to visit Virginia City this St. Patrick’s Day weekend!
- Skeptical about a Testicle (3 tasting tickets): $5
- Flight of Ten (10 tasting tickets): $12
- Balls and Beer Party of 4 (This package is for a party of four – 10 tasting tickets per person and four cups to join the Ball Breaker Saloon Crawl – a $120 value): $85
- Ball Breaker Saloon Crawl Early Bird Special (Must be purchased by February 19, 2016. With your cup, get your first beer free at the event bar, then sample a variety of specialty drinks at the saloons. Your cup also gives you discounts on full specialty drink orders): $15
- Ball Breaker Saloon Crawl (These tickets go on sale on February 20, 2016. With your cup, get your first beer free at the event bar, then sample a variety of specialty drinks at the saloons. Your cup also gives you discounts on full specialty drink orders): $20
For more information:
Rocky Mountain Oyster Fry
Virginia City, NV
Date: Mar. 12, 2016 at 10 a.m.