Jonathan Nussbaum, president of LaceClips, has partnered with local celebrities, the city of Miami Beach and several non-profit organizations to host The Big Serve. This free tennis exhibition and clinic is designed to encourage children to play tennis, to connect Miami Beach residents with kids in Miami-Dade County and to benefit local community youth programs.
The Big Serve tennis clinic takes place at two location in Miami Beach, one on Friday, March 18 and the other on Saturday, March 19, 2016.
On Friday, the Big Serve tennis clinic will be held from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 at the Flamingo Tennis Center in Miami Beach. DJ Irie will provide tunes alongside the Miami Heat’s MC, Uptown Dale. Children from the non-profits will be able to experience four interactive stations:
- Meet-n-greet and autograph sessions with pro tennis players and notable local celebrities
- A tennis clinic with lessons from pro tennis players
- A fitness station featuring celebrity personal trainers provided by Fast Twitch
- Concession stations with drinks provided by Menin Hospitality and Icelandic Glacial and food provided by Shake Shack and David’s Café.
On Saturday, the Big Serve tennis clinic will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Continuum South Beach. Children from the Overtown Youth Center will participate in a tennis clinic with children of residents at Continuum South Beach. There will also be an exhibition with current and former tennis professionals.
Alonzo Mourning, former Miami Heat star, will greet residents and speak about the organization. Guests and children will enjoy lunch on the patio. In addition to Mourning, other notable guests include Miami Heat spin master DJ Irie, Miami Heat host Uptown Dale and other surprise local celebrities.
The United States Tennis Association will organize and provide resources and follow-up locations where kids can continue to play tennis after the event. Children participating in the event will receive a tote bag, courtesy of Head, that includes tennis balls provided by Biscayne Tennis, a Head tennis racquet and a t-shirt provided by Jonathan Nussbaum and Becker & Poliakoff.
Other sponsors of the Miami Beach Big Serve tennis clinic include Honey Shine Inc., World Red Eye, the City of Miami Beach, the Mourning Family Foundation and Cox Media Group.
All proceeds from the Big Serve tennis clinic benefit Overtown Youth Center, The Irie Foundation, Wade’s World Foundation and The Miami Beach Tennis Foundation.
- The Overtown Youth Center provides after-school services designed to engage children in educational and recreational activities that promote physical, cognitive, motor, social and emotional development. It is a program of the Mourning Family Charities.
- Founded by the Miami Heat’s official DJ, the Irie Foundation seeks to empower South Florida at-risk youth to lead productive lives through cultural experiences, educational initiatives, mentorship programs and scholarship opportunities.
- Wade’s World Foundation, founded by Dwayne Wade of the Miami Heat, provides support to community-based organizations that promote education, health and social skills for children in at-risk situations.
- The Miami Beach Tennis Foundation gives back to the community by providing inclusive and diverse tennis participation throughout the Miami Beach community for adults, youth, seniors, adaptive and wheelchair, regardless of economic means.
The Big Serve invites the local community to attend on Friday at the Flamingo Tennis Center in Miami Beach from 4-7 p.m. For more information, please visit thebigserve.miami. If you’re interested in volunteering, please contact Jonathan Nussbaum at email@example.com.