The Shore Athletic Club’s 52nd Annual Polar Bear Races will be held on Sunday, December 27, 2015 in Asbury Park, NJ and the “Polar Bears” will be running wild on the famous boardwalk. The event includes a 10 Mile Race Walk, a 5 mile fitness walk and a 5 Mile Run. The walks get going at 10 AM and the 5 Mile Run at 1 PM. Check in and day of registration starts at 9 a.m. at Asbury Park Convention Hall.
Sunday, December 27, Asbury Park Polar Bear Races, Asbury Park, New Jersey
The races feature fast, flat courses on the Asbury Park Boardwalk. After the races the participants are treated to Hot Soup. Pre-Registered runners get the famous Polar Bear T-Shirt. A large field of over 500 runners and walkers are expected for the long running event. The Jersey Shore Running Club band comprised of Dave Demonico on trumpet and “chickie” on the drums is expected to be out on the course again this year. A post race party this year will be held at Kim Marie’s Restaurant located a block from the start and finish at 1416 Kingsley Ave, Asbury Park.
The event attracts some elite race walkers for the 10 mile walk and alsom moany local college runners find the 5 mile race a good way to stay competitive while home for winter break. Harry Nolan of Middletown is expected to return back and run again as he has done so in every year of the race. As a bonus after the race many runners take a real “Polar Bear” plunge into the ocean. But that is strictly optional.
The Shore AC has staged the event in Asbury Park for over 50 years in Asbury Park in all types of weather – through blizzards, rain and under some adverse conditions when the boardwalk was in dis – repair. It has attracted a dedicated following and assistance from other local running clubs including Jersey Shore Running Club and Freehold Area Running Club. It is a true tradition for local runners.
Coming up there is plenty of action to include:
- Sunday, December 27, Asbury Park Polar Bear Races, Asbury Park, New Jersey
- Sunday, December 27, 5K, Dashing thru the Sand 5K, Avalon, New Jersey
- Thursday, December 31, Twilight Run, Sea Girt, New Jersey
- Friday, January 1, 5K, CJRRC Hangover Run, Cranford, New Jersey
- Friday, January 1, 5K, Committment Day Run, Florham Park, New Jersey
- Friday, January 1, 5 Miles, Hamilton Hangover, Hamilton, New Jersey
- Friday, January 1, 5K, Resolution Run 5K, Hillsborough, New Jersey
- Friday, January 1, Williamstown Badgers Hangover 5K, Williamstown, New Jersey
- Saturday, January 2, Half Marathon Training Program Starts, Asbury Park Area
- Sunday, January 3,10, 17, 24, 31, Feb 7, 14, 21 1 p.m. 5k, Browning Ross Winter Series, Glassboro, New Jersey
- Sunday, January 3, 10, 17, 24, 31, 10 a.m. K, FARC Winter Series, Freehold, New Jersey
- Saturday, January 9, 10:17 a.m. 5K or so, Freezing Cold Hash, Edison, New Jersey
- Sunday, January 24, 10 a.m. 4 Miles, ORC Winter Series, Ocean County Park, Lakewood, New Jersey