Are you with someone who constantly talks negatively towards marriage? Are you wondering where your future is headed with your relationship? There are many signs to look for when determining the future of your relationship. Remember that every relationship is different; just because you see none of these signs, doesn’t mean there isn’t a future for your relationship. Also, if you do see these signs that does not necessarily mean your relationship has a future, but it does give you a strong possibility of a future.
1. Does your significant other ever talk about marriage or kids? Pay attention to the small talk the two of you have. You could notice that sometimes they’ll drop the subtle hint like “our kids would not act like that” or “our wedding would have this in it”. This could be the biggest sign that they are looking to settle down and have a future with someone.
2. Are they wish washy about marriage and kids? Many times they do not want you to know that they would like to have a future with you. Sometimes, in men especially, they seem to think it will make them vulnerable or less ‘manly’. Listen to your partner speak, sometimes they could go from “at my wedding I want…” to “at our non-existent wedding…”. With them just bringing it up means that they have thought about it.
3. If you’ve looked at rings together then commitment is definitely on their mind. It doesn’t matter if it was a passing by glance and the two of you had a moment saying which ones you both liked.
4. Have the two of you talked about different types of proposals? This sign could go either way but it is still a sign none the less, especially if they are interested in what kind of proposals you prefer. If they are interested in what you think, it’s obvious that they want to know for future purposes.
5. Has your significant other ever fake proposed to you? Are they adamant about not ever wanting to get married but then randomly propose to you with fake rings? These fake rings can include but are not limited to arcade rings or ring pops.
Mind you, these are only a few signs to look for and of course before thinking about marriage, make sure the two of you are in the same place emotionally. If you are the one thinking about proposing but aren’t sure where your partner stands on the issue, ask subtle questions to find out. These subtle questions could be asked while watching a movie with a wedding in it; simply bring up something small about the wedding to see their reaction.
You could say “I wouldn’t want that kind of cake”, if they agree then you could ask “what kind of cake would you want for your wedding?” Also, pay attention to their reactions when friends or family talk about marriage. If they react negatively towards it, it may be best to wait before popping the question.
Studies show that typically it takes 2 years of being with someone to know them completely. However, the human mind, emotion, and personality are constantly evolving. The person you are with now won’t be 100 percent the same person a year from now. The two of you have to constantly get to know each other throughout your lives together. But 2 years is enough time to build a friendship and bond so strong that you should be able to over come most obstacles.
If you are certain that your partner does not want to further your relationship to the next level, it is time to weigh your options. You could either stay with them and be as happy as you are right in this moment; or you could move on and find someone with similar goals relationship wise. After a certain point of not knowing you shouldn’t be waiting around hoping they’ll give you a sign.
Worst case scenario if none of these signs are working, just flat out ask them where they see the relationship going. Don’t settle for the vague answer of “we’ll just see how it goes”. Ask them specifically what their intentions are and if they are interested at all in taking the relationship to the next level. Be prepared just in case they give you an answer you are not emotionally ready for.