Grading of agricultural products like vegetables and fruits has become a prerequisite for trading throughout borders. There are many developing countries where grading of fruits are done manually and manual grading is carried out by the trained professionals who take into account a number of grading factors and they separate fruits in accordance with their physical quality. Manually, grading gradually became costly and grading became problematic only due to lack of labor during peak seasons. Human operations are actually less efficient, inconsistent and time taking as well. As per new trends in marketing mentioned by the WTO or the World Trade Organization demand high quality graded products. Grading fruits are very important as this process fetches high prices to the person who grows and also enhances packaging, handles the overall marketing system. Read on the concerns of this article to know more on the grading system of vegetables and fruits.
What is grading of vegetables and fruits?
Grading of vegetables and fruits post harvesting is one of the most vital steps in post-harvest management. Grading of vegetables and fruits on the basis of its physical features like size, weight, color, specific gravity, shape and freedom from diseases depending upon the agroclimatic conditions. Grading of vegetables and fruits in its fresh form is essential and the people are becoming too conscious about quality day by day. Furthermore, as there is an arrival of vegetables and fruits at the processing centers, they need to be graded strictly and for good quality. The immature fruits properly get matured and the over mature vegetables and fruits should be sorted for the best attributes.
What are some of the benefits of grading?
Check out some benefits of grading that you didn’t know of:
- Running losses in the selling price due to some below standard products or specimen can be effortlessly avoided.
- Grading can increase marketing efficiency by accelerating the process of buying and selling a product without personally selecting it.
- Huge marketing costs in transportation and packing can easily be avoided through grading.
- One can set good prices and graded products through grading.
- All kinds of defected and diseased specimen are not at all damaged due to getting in contact with other damaged specimens.
- With grading, there is a lot of transparency for both sellers and buyers.
- When vegetables and fruits are properly graded, they’re soon purchased by the consumers without many inspections as most of the people are too health conscious nowadays.
Grading of fruits and vegetables
Generally, the fruits can usually be graded on the basis of their weight, size, gravity, variety, color and many more factors. The fruits, on the other hand, are graded based on their size, whether small, medium or large. On the basis of maturity, fruits can be categorized as immature, properly mature and over mature.
For more information on the grading of vegetables and products, you can visit Elisam as they can offer you with the best advice regarding grading.