Reportedly, there are reports of at least 12 dead by active shooters in the streets of San Bernardino, California. According to witnesses, there are at least 2 and possibly 3 or more shooters wearing body armor and bullet proof vests. There were about 30 hostages at an unidentified building near a public golf course in the 1300 block of South Waterman Avenue who were released. 911 calls initially came from the Inland Regional Center.There are dozens more injured. The police are combing the streets because of reports that the suspects are aimlessly shooting into the streets and the public are cautioned to take cover inside. The incident occurred just before noon PST.
At this time, it is unknown whether or not the suspects are associated with ISIS, Al Qaeda or other foreign terrorists or if they are domestic terrorists similar to random movie theatre and school shootings. Another witness reported that a woman trapped inside one of the nearby buildings called her father asking for prayer for everyone. This has the callings similar to the DC Snipers in 2002.
Updates to follow (per police scanner)
- The building first targeted is associated with individuals with disabilities
- People were shot and immediately fell to the ground according to witnesses who escaped. So, they could have been kill shots or critically wounded
- The police discovered a device that they detonated with a robot
- The suspects are believed to have escaped in a black van
- Local Law Enforcement (police), State Police, and Federal Agencies on scene (FBI, ATF)
- San Bernardino Police are investigating Behavioral Building and have requested a larger robot for a possible explosive device (per police scanner)
- Building on the Southeastern corner of complex to be evacuated next
- North building currently being evacuated but taking some time due to multiple floors and offices
- Police checking nearby buildings that may be open for business
- Death Toll rises to 14
- Victims’ Families are to go to the Hernandes Center
- Victims are currently at the golf course pending transport
- Black SUV with tinted windows reported to police but does not appear to be related to incident
- Police reporting a suspect dressed in camouflage held at gunpoint (unknown at this time if related)
- Police in High Speed Chase of vehicle along Chandler, going eastbound into Target parking lot (unknown if vehicle related to incident). Police report vehicle did a driveby and failed to yield and then drove away from police. Police just reported, “Unknown if related to shooting;” dark color SUV. Vehicle stopped at Alan and King. Shots fired out of back window at police
- 4 Police Officers in pursuit of suspect on foot (unknown if related)
- 1 suspect in custody
- Police in Gunfire with suspects. Police using M4 Rifle
- Police requesting EMS
- Requesting Bearcat Tactical Vehicle
- Requesting Rescue Helicopter
- Possible Suspect on foot (citizen report to police)
- 3 Tactical Vehicles on scene
- 2nd Suspect on foot chase
- 1 Suspect killed by Police
- 1 Suspect female with Arabic decent near Amazon Company after bystander observed by police running from building
- Reports of unknown Subject running across airfield, reports of shots fired
- Another suspect cornered near Amazon building; police attempting to flush suspect but worried they may jump
- Police requesting additional units at the employee gate of building
- Police to search nearby Church
- Police are Code 4
- Police requesting Helicopter assistance
- 2 Suspects stopped by Police in Ford 150 (unknown at this time if related); 1 of the suspects Hispanic male with shaved head
- Reports of Shots fired at or near the Amazon Building
- Requesting Helicopter assistance to check nearby parking complexes
- Police confirm no additional explosive devices discovered
There has been zero radio communication between the dispatchers and officers for about the last 60-90 minutes because an unknown officer had his radio mic open (dead air). The dispatchers attempted several times to determine which officer was having difficulties. Please standby for new updates.
- Unknown device discovered (unknown if related)
- California State University of San Bernardino canceled due to safety concerns
- Valley College of San Bernardino canceled due to safety concerns
- IED (improvised explosive device) reported, Officers falling back about 50 ft for safety
- Reports of male suspect near Central Street with a gun “pretending” to shoot at people
- Police releasing about 40 people who were victim/witnesses
FBI reporting they are not ruling out Terrorism although could be related to local perpetrators; perhaps, disgruntle employees. As a Criminologist, in my expert opinion, I forse several probabilities:
- If a disgruntle employee(s) it is not unheard of for individuals to retaliate with acts of mass casualties such as with shootings or explosive devices. This falls into the category of Workplace Violence (WPV)
- If a current employee(s) or other individual(s) who may have a grudge against the company in question, they too may engage in acts of mass casualties such as shootings or explosives (reference Columbine school shooting).
- In today’s day in age where there are many unfortunate related massacres such as shootings like today’s events, or a movie theatre shooting, or school shootings, or the events in Paris where suspects have died, it is plausible to suggest they would up their game by attempting to protect themselves with body armor as opposed to taking their own lives as some type of martyr.
- If International Terrorism such as Al Qaeda or ISIS, the question asked is, why would one or more individuals target somewhere like San Bernardino as opposed to a larger populated area like Los Angeles and why would they choose a remote building, such as one that has individuals with disabilities? The less populated city could suggest that it is a test site for a future attack at a location that is a greater populated area. As for a specific target to a group of people with disabilities or to those who work with individuals with disabilities, this is what we refer to in law enforcement as ‘soft targets.’ Soft targets refers to locations that are greatly populated with innocent bystanders (typically places like malls and schools with women and children) that will cause the most terror and upset across the nation.
- Suspects are believed to be US Citizens; however, this does not rule out an ISIS or Al Qaeda affiliation because there are many cells/citizens of the US that defend these terrorist organizations.
- Lockview to Richardson streets will remain on lockdown
- One of the Suspects Identified as Syed Farook
- Device at 1365 South Waterman will be detonated by Police in 2 minutes. There will be a total of 3 devices to be detonated within the time frame. Police have been advised to take cover.
** Purposely not reporting some traffic (police communication over radio dispatch) that could put police in harms way or tip off unknown suspects.
Reportedly, the FBI has identified Syed Farook as the suspect in custody who was detained by the police during the shootout with the SUV earlier this evening. Law Enforcement Officers (LEO) have executed a search warrant at a family residence of the suspect, located in Redlands, California. A known alias for Syed Farook is Raheel (middle name) Farook. Supposedly, he was a business tax representative with the California State Board of Equalization, or so it says on his Linkedin profile. In addition, his alleged credentials includes a 2003 graduate of La Sierra HS and an unfinished degree program for finance at California State University in Fullerton. His official Facebook page which has been taken down by LEOs for investigative purposes indicated that he is married with one child.
- 1 device detonated by Police
- Second Device being detonated at 1365 South Waterman
- Third Device detonated by Police
- Second Male Suspect identified as Tayyeep Bin Ardogan (unknown if one of the deceased)
- Police have just entered the home of Syed Farook after checked for possible explosive devices by robot
- LA Times first reported identity of second suspect, Tayyeep Bin Ardogan, but now the LA Times has pulled that reporting claiming it did not come from the police and believe it may be a hoax.
- The Joint Terrorist Task Force is now on the scene which suggests a high probability that it has an ISIS or Al Qaeda affiliation
- The male and female suspects who were killed during the police shootout had extra ammo magazines in their clothing (Gopros)
NEWS CONFERENCE (Police Chief Jarrod Burguan)
- 14 Confirmed deaths
- 17 Confirmed injured (one police officer, not life threatening)
- 21 Officers involved in the shootings with the suspects killed following the police pursuit
- A Christmas Party was taking place prior to the incident
- Syed Rizwan was employed at the business as a county employee and reportedly left the scene following an argument. He was born in the US
- Initially reported as 3 Active Shooters but now the police believe there were only 2 shooters who were those killed in the police shootout
- The suspect in custody is unknown whether he was involved with the shooting
- They have not ruled out terrorism
- The 3 explosive devices are confirmed as explosive devices
- Both suspects were armed with a high caliber assault rifle (DPS-A15, Smith & Wesson MMP) and Semi-automatic handguns * pending additional information by ATF
- Female Suspect: Tashfeen Malik, 27
- No known motive at this time
- Both suspects were believed by police to be dating or engaged to each other; the family reports they were married
My Expert Opinion
According to Police Chief, Syed Rizwan attended the office party last year with no incident. Thus, at some point, between the time he exited the building today and returned as an Active Shooter with his wife who was likely the getaway-vehicle driver; and the fact that only about 30-60 minutes had past during that window, he had the means and opportunity. Reporters asked if Rizwan returned to the office building and begin shooting people solely based on the alleged argument with other employees. First of all, with the type of body armor, guns, and explosive devices that they had, it isn’t exactly something that people go down to the 711 or local Walmart store and buy those things in mere minutes. It is obvious that they had been planning an attack of this type for some time (anywhere from months to years). It is more likely, that this was their plan all along and the argument was staged by the suspect as a premeditated reason for his next act. Notwithstanding, it is quite plausible to suggest that there was another location or two or three with soft targets planned but instead someone or something angered him at the office party and he moved up his timetable.
VIDEO NEWS CONFERENCES
- San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan
- President Obama Initial Reactions
- LA Times identity of Tayyeep Bin Ardogan possible Hoax