Being a single mother is similar to a roller coaster ride. There will be ups and downs, times in which we cry, then followed by moments of bliss. All in all it’s a journey full of surprises, wonder and growth. Most of us don’t plan on becoming a single mother, it happens, just as life happens. It does not matter whether you are divorced or separated, there is no difference. We are women raising our children in a 1 parent household, which is not easy. But there are so many blessings and opportunities of growth within this role. You can take control of your life and start living the life you want. Here are some habits that can help you find your way:
1. Make time to do what you love. Whether it’s your hobby, work-out time, or just your passion. Make time to do it. Because in this time, you will be creating positive vibrations, a feel good mood. And this feel good mood will engulf your home. If you are happy, then your child is happy.
2. Prioritize. In order to prioritize you must organize yourself. Create a to do list and carry it with you. Now don’t get attached to it. It’s just a reminder of what you need to get done. Don’t overdo it and stress yourself out. The point is to have a road map of where you want to go to remind you, when life happens.
3. Be Present with your child. No matter how little time you have to spend with your little one, maybe because you work-full time, make it count. It’s important to be emotionally and mentally present with your child. So turn off the social media, the television, put your phone on vibrate and go play!
4. Plan alone time. This is essential for single mothers because you are the sole parent 24/7. Arrange for someone that you truly trust to watch your little one. Then take this time for yourself, to imagine, to relax and let go of the negative vibes you have been holding on too. Once you pick up your little one, you are recharged and ready for them.
5. Surround yourself with positive people. Stop hanging out with people that stress you out, that love to complain and focus on negativity. You do not need that. Spend time with people that uplift, love, and embrace you as you are. And if you don’t know anyone like that, hit up a social media, like FB. Join a sisterhood, or a mama group, because trust me you are not alone.Many times all we need is a good friend that we can vibe with.
6. Let go of what does not serve you. Many times we cling on to things, thoughts and people that are no good for our well-being. We believe that in the holding of it, things might change or get better instead of traveling through unknown path. But ask yourself, what are you benefiting from holding on to it? In the letting go, you will finally allow into your life, what you deserve, an abundance of love.
7. Slow down. I remind myself of this all the time. We get caught up in all the things that need to get done; it takes us into an automatic pilot mode. This is when we forget to breath, forget to think, and we just do. When you realize you are here, pause, and take a deep breathe. Then you will realize that Rome was not conquered in one day, therefore you do not need to accomplish 100 tasks today.
8. Love yourself. Remember how amazing you are. Grab a piece of paper and a pencil and write 10 things you love about yourself. Do it for a week or two.You will be amazed at all the new things you discovered about yourself. I have discovered that in order to attract the type of love you want, first you need to give it to yourself. Remember it all starts from within.