Sandwiched right between France and the Netherlands, Belgium is often overlooked by travelers. This is a major mistake. Belgium has so much to offer, from Brussels to Bruges to Ghent to Antwerp. Here are a few reasons to consider adding Belgium to your next European trip.
- Convenient location: It can be difficult to choose which to visit among the many countries of Europe. Belgium makes it easy, being situated right between two of the most popular destinations: Paris and Amsterdam. Train travel through Brussels is so smooth and it is very connected to other major cities. From Brussels, there are high-speed trains to all of the smaller towns.
- Architecture: Belgium has some of the most intricate and unique architecture in all of Europe. Be sure to visit the Grote Market main squares in each city or town.
- Waffles: Truly- the liège waffles in this country are exactly how waffles should be. It’s a bit like eating pizza in Italy for the first time and realizing you’ve been having it wrong all along. The waffles are a reason worth visiting for alone. Of course, don’t forget about frites and chocolates as well. You definitely will not go hungry in Belgium.
- Big cities and small towns: In this one country visitors can visit the headquarters of the European Union, as well as some of Europe’s most charming small towns. There’s something for everyone.
- Diversity: Along with the diversity of cities, Belgium also offers diversity in many other ways. Half of the country speaks Flemish (in the north), and the other half speaks French (in the south). Brussels itself is even more diverse with many foreigners immigrating from all over the world due to being the European Union capital. It is international and cosmopolitan while still maintaining its charm.
- Slow pace: Some may consider Belgium to be a bit boring compared to the nearby cities of Amsterdam and Paris, but this can make it even more enjoyable to visit due to the calm and more traditional atmosphere. It feels less crowded and rushed, like taking a step back in time. Belgium provides a break between the faster destinations like Paris and Amsterdam.
- People: The Belgian people are unique and proud of their country. They are friendly, funny, (just ask them about Belgian comics!) and very different from their neighbors.
Belgium is a treat (both literally and figuratively). Hopefully now you are convinced to add this unique country to your next European travels.