A magical formula to instantly boost website traffic is the goal of any digital marketer. Increasing website traffic is the “golden goose” of Jack and the Beanstalk. Unfortunately, like many things magical, it is something that only exists in fairy tales. However, boosting website traffic with mobile marketing is a proven way to effectively increase website traffic, gain more customers, and meet the needs of their website visitors. It is no secret that mobile marketing is the way of the future. Don’t believe me? Here are seven ways that mobile marketing is quickly becoming a living version of the aforementioned “golden goose.”
1. Mobile Apps: Mobile apps are quickly becoming an alternative to using mobile websites. The average smartphone user spends an impressive 86 percent of their time on mobile apps. This percentage is made even more impressive when you consider the fact that 79 percent of smartphone users open mobile apps on a daily basis. You can capitalize on the popularity of mobile apps by using the apps to drive more people to your website. Conversely, you can make the app available for download from your website. The duality of this approach will put your company and brand in front of multiple targeted audiences.
2. Responsive URLs Must Be Mobile Friendly: 2014 was the year of the responsive website. It was a year when the majority of companies realized just how important it was to have a mobile website. However, 2015 has quickly become the year of the responsive URL. A responsive URL helps your web developers create the proper experience to visitors based on the device and browser that they are using. This tactic is imperative if you want to increase website traffic.
Consumers are looking for five key components of mobile friendly websites:
● The ability to quickly find information in 3 clicks or less.
● Clear visual paths with only a limited amount of text.
● Fast load times (30, 15, and 10 second load times are no longer acceptable. Mobile sites should load in 3 seconds or less).
● Image files that are optimized for small screen viewing (no one wants to scroll in and out to see a photo).
● Accessibility to social media platforms, sharing buttons, and the immediate ability to make a phone call or send an email directly from the page.
3. Social Profiles Should Promote Websites: All of your social media profiles, this means: Google+, LinkedIn, Foursquare, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter should include mobile URLs so that website users can click and bookmark the site for future visits. Additionally, your blog is a great way to encourage users to visit your website. Your blog should generate more website visitors. Each post should contain an internal link to a relevant portion of your website. Social media icons should be placed in the side panel, so that readers can easily share your posts on their chosen platform.
80 percent of Internet users reported that their smartphones are their primary device for conducting Internet searches. This means that the majority of your past, current, and future customers are searching for products and services online. To capitalize on the growing number of individuals whom are searching for content via smartphones, each of your digital platforms should offer exclusive content. For example, your Instagram account might be dedicated to user-generated content, Facebook might reveal professional photographs of new products, LinkedIn could offer helpful articles, and Twitter might be the place for special offers or customer rewards. By offering exclusive content on each platform you can encourage users to visit all of your digital platforms.
4. Mobile Display Ads and GoogleAds Reign Supreme: Mobile marketing via display ads and GoogleAds is a powerful way to increase website traffic. eMarketer recently forecasted that mobile ad spend will reach an excess of $100 Billion worldwide by the end of 2016. As the amount of money spent on mobile advertising continues to grow, marketers will need to continue to find innovative ways to appeal to past, current, and prospective customers. One of the ways to continue to improve website traffic, is to recognize the patterns of your consumers.
● Currently, 90 percent of smartphone shoppers said that they use their phones for pre-purchasing activities. Pre-purchasing activities includes: reading online consumer reviews, reading social media reviews, comparing prices, and watching videos.
● 84 percent of smartphone shoppers use their mobile devices to help shop while they are in a brick and mortar store.
By understanding how mobile devices affect the purchasing habits of consumers, you can create more targeted ads that give the consumer access to the valuable online information that they desire. Remember, to best appeal to your targeted consumer base, this information can and should be easily displayed on your mobile website.
5. Link Email and Mobile Promotion: Viral email marketing is a fantastic, cost-effective tactic to drive more website visitors. Not only has this approach increased website visitors, but it has also had high conversion ratings. Email marketing can and should be combined with mobile promotions for the best results.
Mobile email marketing campaigns have steadily grown in popularity since 2011. From 2011 – 2014, mobile email open rates grew an astounding 180 percent. To date, mobile email marketing campagins have been shown to have an impressive 48 percent open rating. This number is made even more impressive when you compare it to the 22 percent open rating for desktop email marketing campaigns.
As mentioned in Tip #3, mobile email marketing campaigns should also leverage the power of social media. Your website and social media icons should always be placed into the email signature. Make sure that you only use the social media icon that matches the content of the email. For example, if your LinkedIn page posts informative articles, and your email is about upcoming market trends, then you should use the LinkedIn icon in the email’s signature. However, if your email is about the latest offer, then LinkedIn might not be the best choice; instead, Twitter or Facebook might be the appropriate social media icon.
6. Design Mobile Friendly Web Videos: 65 percent of the world’s population is visual learners. To appeal to this growing majority of individuals, mobile marketers are leveraging the power of mobile videos. At the end of 2014, mobile videos accounted for 55 percent of mobile data usage from the preceding year. Posting website URLs within video clips on YouTube can help you to direct more users to your website. You can also use YouTube’s TrueView to efficiently market to a larger consumer audience.
7. Calendar Event Integration: A recent study showed that United States consumers prefer to view mobile digital media on their smartphones. In fact, 51 percent of digital media time was spent on a mobile device compared to the 42 percent of time spent on a desktop. With the growing amount of time spent on mobile devices, individuals have started to sync their emails, calendars, and contacts to both mobile and desktop platforms. With this in mind, calendar integration has quickly become a fantastic way to capitalize on high click-through rates for mobile banner ads. To leverage this innovative idea, try implementing the following steps:
● Create a compelling mobile banner advertisement for your product or service.
● When the user clicks on the ad, automatically direct them to your website’s calendar.
● Additionally, the ad click should create an event on their calendar that reminds them of the upcoming sale, promotion, or other offering.
By integrating calendar events with banner ads, you can effectively improve conversion rates, as well as higher follow-through rates from prospective customers.
In conclusion, these seven mobile marketing tips can help you to drastically increase website traffic. When the users do arrive at your site, make sure that your desktop, mobile, or responsive websites have been optimized to best meet the needs and expectations of your customers. You can try Trumpia’s SMS and marketing automation solution; it helps businesses communicate effectively with their customers or members. They even offer a free Mobile Marketing Success Kit.
After all, getting your customers to your website is only half of the challenge; once they are there, you will need to ensure that your site has been optimized with powerful call to actions for higher conversion ratings.