Parenting is a life journey filled with a roller coaster ride of emotions. There are blissful moments, arguments, battles, frustrations, tears, doubt, generational baggage and so much more. Its easy to forget how fortunate we are to witness our children coming into this earth, developing, and growing into their own persona.
Learning to cope with the frustrations that come with parenting many not be as difficult as you have told yourself. No everyday won’t be perfect. But if you keep these steps in mind, your parenting journey can become lighter.
5 Ways to be a Happy Parent
- Laugh. As parents we take ourselves too seriously. We make it a point to show our children how well we keep it together. As we know there are many moments in which we won’t have it together. We will mess up and fall flat on our bottoms. But this is the moment where you need to stop and just laugh it off. Go ahead, just laugh at yourself, at the situation because it is really never as serious as it seems. Show your children that you are human. Laughter has this way of connecting us and forming a deeper bond. Go ahead take a moment and laugh with them!
- Be Yourself. In our society parenting has become this role in which we can not be true to who we are. This is one of the most challenging things, being who we truly are vs. who we are supposed to be as a parent. But guess what? You always have a choice. You don’t have to play a different role. You don’t have to leave yourself behind. If you are “weird” being then continue to be that person. Continue being who you have always been as long as it does not cause harm to your child or self. Be true to you and your child will respect you for that. Once you embrace who you are, it becomes easier to allow your children to be who they are.
- Pursue Your Passion. As parents many of us have a tendency to put our interests in the back burner. This is understood by many as the sacrifice that is made in order to raise a family. But I believe this does not have to be the case. You can still pursue your dreams and live your passion. In fact when you live your passion, you indeed become happier. You are doing what you love when you follow your passion. The beauty in this is that your children will get to witness you in bliss. In turn, this will bring more harmony and love into your families life. Go ahead start doing something you love today.
- Breathe. At times we find ourselves trying to accomplish so much causing us to disconnect from our children and most importantly ourselves. When you feel a moment of anxiety, worry or of not being in control. Pause and take a breathe. Inhale deeply, hold it for a few seconds, and release slowly. Repeat this for as long as you can. Immediately you will come back to this moment and you will get a soothing effect. Breathing is free, effective and immediate, try it you have nothing to loose and all to gain.
- Listen to Your Children. Our children are used to hearing us all day. They are used to getting information from adults all around them. But when do our children get the chance to use their voice and to share their stories. Take out a moment for them daily if you can, and ask them about their day. Ask them about their feelings, interests and dreams. Its never too early or too late to start. Take the time to connect with your children on a deeper level and they will indeed reciprocate.
For more on conscious parenting tips, find me on Facebook at Namaste Parenting.