Earth Day 2016 is a perfect excuse to help our local restaurants do good for our precious planet. So indulge yourself. And (below) eat out to support some beautiful causes – Maggiano’s and Make-a-Wish, and Dining Out for the fight against HIV/AIDS.
- LYFE Kitchen turns off the lights this Earth Day, April 22, 2016. You can celebrate by eating sustainably sourced and environmentally-conscious food on recycled tabletops in the warm glow of candlelight at all four Chicagoland locations.
- Magnolia Bakery, 108 N State St #128, makes an Earth Day cupcake that’ll make your mouth water and your mind crave more. Treat yourself to one of their signature vanilla or chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream and a pretty decorative leaf. For each one you buy on April 22 they’ll donate $1.50 to Plant a Billion Trees to help promote sustainability worldwide.
- While you’re eating your cupcake, please read what Joe Lamp’l, the host of Growing a Greener World on PBS, has to say about the damaging effects of plastic coffee pods. In 2014 alone, more than 10 billion plastic single-serve cups were thrown into landfills, which don’t breakdown and create a greenhouse gas called methane. You’ll never look at individual coffee thingies in quite the same way again.
- Maggiano’s, 516 N. Clark St. downtown and two other Chicago area locations, the iconic Italian restaurant that’s nationwide, celebrates its 13th annual partnering with Make-a-Wish® to help kids who are dying and their families fulfill the child’s dream vacation wish. Starting April 21 all the way through June 29, 2016 when you purchase a Make-a-Wish special menu item, Maggiano’s will make a donation in your honor to help those children’s dreams come true.
Maggiano’s chefs have created a number of special dishes, including deep-fried asiago-breaded shrimp (with bacon and lemon vinaigrette), filet mignon and asparagus risotto, breaded and Fontina-stuffed chicken breast with risotto, and more, plus a gorgeous fresh-berry tiramisu dessert that’ll knock your socks off. Check in with your Maggiano’s location for which items are available during which weeks. Check out the photos!
In addition, you can buy Make-a-Wish stars and for each star purchased, Maggiano’s donates the entire purchase price. And, bonus opportunity, every time you use the hashtag #EataDish4MAW when you post a picture of your Make-a-Wish menu item on social media, Maggiano’s donates another dollar to the cause. For more information, visit http//wish.org/.
If you appreciate good Italian food served in a warm family-style atmosphere, and you enjoy helping sick kids and their families, this is a no-brainer. Make your reservations now or just plan to come in with family and friends anytime during the promotion. And don’t forget, take pictures of your food and send ‘em out with the hashtag #EataDish4MAW. It’s easy. Ask for the Make-a-Wish menu and open your heart and your wallet generously.
- It also takes only eating a meal out with family or friends to help another worthy cause. Dining Out for Life® hosted by Subaru® taking place Thursday, April 28th at any of the 3,000 participating restaurants in nearly 60 cities across North America and that restaurant will donate a generous portion of the day’s proceeds to fund HIV/AIDS care, prevention, education, testing, counseling and other essential services in their city. Congratulations and thank you to the 17 Chicago restaurants joining in the ongoing fight by donating 25% to 40% of the price of every meal you order. Mark your calendar now for April 28!
- The Signature Room at the 95th – (312) 280-0453
- Club Lucky – (773) 227-2300
- Bar Pastoral – (773) 472-4781
- Drew’s on Halsted – (773) 244-9191
- Longman & Eagle – (773) 276-7110
- Anna Maria Pasteria – (773) 506-2662
- Spacca Napoli – (773) 878-2420
- Crew Bar & Grill – (773) 784-2739
- Cantina 1910 – (773) 506-1910
- Bar Ombra – (773) 506-8600
- Acre – (773) 334-7600
- Anteprima – (773) 506-9990
- Big Jones – (773) 275-5725
- The Brixton – (773) 961-7358
- Nookies Edgewater – (773) 516-4188
- Broadway Cellars – (773) 944-1208
- Revival Social Club – (773) 293-6435
Cheers to our Chicago restaurants for their good will. Let’s go out and eat!