A week ago I went to see the movie How to be single, which by the way was pretty awesome! Most people think its all about getting laid and hooking up when that’s not the message I took from the movie at all. So many ladies have no clue how to be single and are so uncomfortable with the idea of being alone that they find themselves serial dating or jumping from one meaningless relationship to the next. I’ve been asked, “When are you going to get a boyfriend?”, because society expects you to only be happy with someone by your side. I’m here to tell you that it is totally acceptable as well as possible to be happy alone and I’m here to tell you how!
First things first…Whether you are newly single or have been single for years it is imperative that you date. Dating doesn’t have to be done between two individuals. Date yourself! You may think you know all of your hobbies or maybe you need to find some. Take yourself out, go on Groupon and find a deal on a class or event that you’ve never tried before and go alone! Doing things in NYC or anywhere does not have to be costly.
- Join a PaintNite event and bring your favorite wine and get lost in the moment even if you have no skills. Or find a beer, wine or food festival in your town. Who doesn’t like eating and drinking?
- Join a team sport like kickball, volleyball, or bowling league. Being around others in something that will get you active is a great way to make new friends and get out of the house. Simply social is a great place to find teams to join.
- Find a fitness class to join like Link Fitness that offers indoor and outdoor circuit training or find a gym that offers fun equipment that will simulate an outdoor sport if you’re not really the outdoorsy type like a rowing machine to simulate kayaking or a rotary stair climbing machine to simulate hiking. Don’t forget to create a bomb playlist before your workout or find a great cardio station on Google Play Music!
- Go to the movies. Yes, get cute and take yourself on a movie date. We are all used to sitting indoors while binge watching an streaming online in our pj’s, but why wait for someone to go to the movies with? If there’s a good movie out you want to see, purchase your ticket online, buy or bring your own refreshments that you won’t have to share, and laugh or cry at whatever scene you enjoy without judgement.
- Visit your friends and family. Chances are you didn’t see them as much when you were attached at the hip with someone so now its time to show your face again. Maybe you don’t want to hear your aunt ask when you’re gonna “settle down”. Just let her know that life is meant to be lived and not collecting dust!
Being single isn’t a time to be solely focused on finding your next mate or focusing on what happened wrong with your ex. Being single is a time to become a new and better you. It’s a time for yourself that you may never get back again. Use it for self growth and personal development but more importantly learn new things and become more skilled. Maybe that “honey do” list has been sitting there for a while in hopes that your significant other may come along to complete it. Consider making that trip to Home depot or Lowe’s and finding your inner “DIY” person because you honey….You’re enough!